Shayner

Default Another Canadian Online Resource

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before. There is a National Registraion File of 1940. Here is the intro from the statscan site.

"The National Registration File of 1940 resulted from the compulsory registration of all persons, 16 years of age or older, in the period from 1940 to 1946. This information was originally obtained under the authority of The National Resources Mobilization Act and the War Measures Act. Custody of the records was subsequently given to Statistics Canada, then known as the Dominion Bureau of Statistics.

As a result, the National Registration File of 1940 is not subject to the confidentiality provisions of the Statistics Act but is instead covered by the Privacy Act. According to this Act, when a person has been dead for more than 20 years, the information is no longer considered to be personal and can be disclosed."

For anyone interested, the link is;

statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-cel/olc-cel?lang=eng&catno=93C0006 (put www. in front)

Cheers,
    Shayne
    Last edited by Jan1954; 13-02-2010 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Commercial agency - a fee is charged

BeeJay

I've ordered several of these registrations, which cost $45 each plus GST. They send both a copy of the original and a transcription.

They can be useful, depending on what you're hoping to find. For birth place the question was what country and what place but the registrations I have give only the country. I was trying to find the specific birth place of immigrant ancestors so that was disappointing.

Date of birth, occupation, work experience and previous military service were informative. It would have been helpful if married women were asked their maiden surname but it wasn't one of the questions.

Shayner

I have a HUGE brickwall I am working on. I got a copy hoping I would find out his parents names. Of course, he didn't fill those questions in....sigh!

S