prinnyroyalz

Default Clafton emigration to Canada/USA

My gg uncle Willie Clafton b.1863 in Dewsbury, left for Canada in about 1880-1. He had deserted from the army, had been in hiding , joined the merchant navy and jumped ship on landing in Canada. He lived in Birch Hills Saskatchewan, and eventually settled in Grand Rapids Minnesota and has many descendants there.
    Willie's Brothers-in-law Abel Bould and John Newton are said to have followed him to start a new life in Canada. I have found John on the Canadian Passenger lists. His first journey was in July 1881, soon after the birth of his first child. He must have returned soon, as his second child was born in 1882. He made another journey both had been Liverpool to Quebec, in May 1883. His wife Martha travelled to Quebec with infant Eliza (the first child had died soon after birth)and friend Ada Hardy in August of the same year.
    I was told that all but Willie returned to Dewsbury as they were homesick, and they all appear in the 1891 census.
    Is it possible to access Merchant Navy records to find when Willie went to Canada and his job aboard ship?
    Also, I am trying to find out when the family returned to the UK, I can't find them in incoming passenger lists. Can anyone help?

Janet.

Jan1954

Hello Janet,

See if this TNA Research Guide is a first step in helping.