Richard Miller

Smile Emigration of Richard Garrett to Australia

Hi Folks

I am trying to find out a little more about the life of one of my ancestors Richard Garrett born in Winchester 27 Apr 1790, who I believe emigrated to Australia as he is mentioned in a conveyancing document as follows:-

20 Jul 1846 endorsed on 26 Jul 1846 of property handed down by his parents John & Ann Garrett regarding Power of Attorney for Richard Garrett of Sydney New South Wales Australia (in a City Title Deed held in the Hampshire Record Office) gent. appoints brother William Garrett of Winchester, and mentioned again in a further conveyancing document on 21 Nov 1851.

William Garret was my Great great grandfather.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard

Hugh Thompson

HI Richard, this might be your man, from the NSW BDM's, the only other Richard Garrett listed had the wrong parents.
    DEATHS. 2540/1864 Garrett Richard Age 73 Years Died at St Leonards.SYDNEY.
    I could find no marriage for him.
    Hugh.

spison

There are a huge number (576) of hits on the NLA website for "Richard Garrett" in the Sydney area (plus other locations). Possible arrival (number 7) of Richard with his unnamed wife, 2 daughters and a son as paying passengers on the Henry Tanner in 1836. His possible death notice from Hugh's post above is probably number 9.

https://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...ard+Garrett%22

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 07-02-2010 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Richard Miller

Hi Hugh and Jane

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I wish it was as easy to search newspapers online in the uk as it is to search Australian newspapers. It could be the right Richard Garrett as his age given on death fits with the info I have for his year of birth.

Next thing is to try to track down his marriage and birth of his children in the uk. Going form the age of death of his oldest daughter Ann this would put his marriage before 1820.

Might Richard Garrett and his wife and children Anne, Mary and Henry have appeared in any Australian Census Records before 1847 when Anne married the Rev. T. W. Bodenham at St. James's Church, Sydney, or before 1867 when Mary married William Teale at St. Leonard's, North Shore?

Best wishes

Richard

spison

Hi Richard,
    The NLA Newspapers is a good site and growing too. Not good news on the census front in Australia though. All bar the 1828 have been destroyed. The 1841 is partial but only names the head of house and a breakdown of the sexes and ages of those in the family. It is viewable on Ancestry. (There are parts of the 1891 for NSW but only lists head of house and sex breakdown but it is only viewable on microsfilm.) I doubt that he would be listed on the 1837 muster or the 184? (not sure of the year) muster as they were mainly for soldiers and convicts but it may be worth a try. (Someone who knows will tell me if I'm wrong here.)

The wife's name is very possibly Hannah as there is a death for Henry in Paddington (Sydney) in 1867 (Parents Richard & Hannah) and a death of a Mary Teale (Mary Garrett married William Teale in 1857 in St Leonards who died in Goulburn in 1886 with parents Richard and Anne - THERE IS A TYPO IN THE RECORDS SOMEWHERE HERE). The NSW BDM is very user friendly and Australian death certificates are a mine of information so have a look at it. Use the wild card search (eg for Ann*). There is a link to it in the stickys on Australian genealogy. The death of Richard (posted by Hugh) should give you his wife's maiden name, the length of time in the colony and all his children. Because he died at his son's residence it is more than likely that the informant will be someone who knew these things. I've looked for a likely death of Ann* or Hannah Garret* and there are only 6 possibilities.

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 08-02-2010 at 8:43 PM. Reason: FOUND THE TRANSCRIPTION ERROR FOR 1857

Nannas

Hiya,
    There is another Richard GARRETT who married Hannah HARVEY 1803 in VIC...so the GARRETT deaths with Richard as father and Hannah as mother may be them...

Nannas