jeffbird

Default Old salt from HMS Wanderer and Chesapeake

While researching my family history I found an old clipping from what appears to be a London newspaper of 1888. The heading was "Death of the Oldest Man in Bethnal Green" and it recounted the life of my great great great grandfather, John McMillan (sometimes referred to as William John) who had recently died at 100 years of age. It said he was born on 2 Feb 1788 and had joined the Royal Navy as a boy, serving on 'Wanderer" at the taking of Copenhagen in 1807 and later 'Chesapeake'. He was said to have engaged in hand-to-hand fighting with pirates and other enemies of the King before ending up in Greenwich Naval Hospital and eventually coming home to Bethnal Green to live with his family until his death. Various census records state that he was born either in Shoreditch, London, or Scotland but I can't find anything official about his roots or his time at sea. Since I live on the other side of the world (Australia) I need help finding anything that is not online. Any facts and figures re his life or roots gratefully accepted.

- jeff bird

Procat

Since this is very similar to this thread I am locking it to prevent any duplication of effort.