shewhoseeks

Default Copelands and Dolphin Leigh? area

I descend from Ripley Copeland Sr., he was a descendant of a Nicholas Copleand of Isle of Wright, VA, who was supposedly the son of John Copeland born 1616, died 1717? in VA, he was from dolphin Leigh, Lancashire. I am interested in learning about the region. thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry, this isn't helping with Lancashire, but did any of your Copelands come to Canada in the late 1700's?
    My mother-in-law always said some of her ancestors came over about the time of the Mayflower and then later came north. My research tells me these would be the Copelands.

thanks

Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by shewhoseeks View Post
    I descend from Ripley Copeland Sr., he was a descendant of a Nicholas Copleand of Isle of Wright, VA, who was supposedly the son of John Copeland born 1616, died 1717? in VA, he was from dolphin Leigh, Lancashire. I am interested in learning about the region. thanks
    GENUKI is a good place to start if you don't know an area - this section covers Lancashire

Dolphin Leigh is not a place name with which I familiar - but if you use the gazetteer on the abvoe you'll find Dolphin Lea Ridge mentioned.

Geograph is a project to photograph every square kilometre of the British Isles

Lancashire CC has some old maps available on its web-site which may show the area.

Was Ripley COPELAND the first of this family to arrive in North America? - If so, do you known when? Is there any record of the ship on which he travelled? Was he wealthy/land owning? Is it known if he travelled alone, or with other family members?

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

According to various Copeland family entries on the internet, it appears that the "Dolphin Leigh" referred to is in the vicinity of Dolphinholme, Lancs, which you will find by Googling.
    However I have not yet succeeded in finding any historical ref to Dolphin Leigh.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Following on from my last post, try THIS link
    It could appear that the references to Dolphinholme are inaccurate, as Bulk is 9-10 miles from Dolphinholme.

Also a picture of the house in question at Bulk.

Extract: "Dolphin Lee (or Dolphinlee) - This house which was in Bulk was occupied at first by the Copelands who were for a long time stewards to the Daltons of Thurnham Hall for their estates in Bulk, Aldcliffe and what is now Lancaster."
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

shewhoseeks

That was so interesting, thank you