Starting to feel at home

Default Stockport in Lancashire/Cheshire

I find some of the Lancs/Cheshire boundaries confusing.
    Apparently it depends which side of the River Mersey my ancestors lived with regard to whether Stockport came under Lancashire or Cheshire.
    From what I can make out - all the Heatons including Heaton Moor, Heaton Norris, Heaton Chapel, Heaton Mersey would be in Stockport Lancashire and all the other Stockport addresses came under Stockport Cheshire. Then all of Stockport came under Cheshire until it was encompassed by Greater Manchester. The trouble is, I have no dates for when these changes took place and therefore have to look up records in both counties
    Regards
    Linda

Jack Richards

Hi Barmouth

It might help if you include the year(s) that you are researching in the Stockport area. (I live within the Stockport area and very close to the Heatons). I am not researching in this area.

Regards

Famous for offering help & advice

I know what you mean!
    My gt grandfather was born in Hyde. On various census his birth has been shown as Manchester; Hyde, Lancashire; Hyde, Cheshire. On GRO index the RD is Stockport. CheshireBMD, Stockport, sub district Hyde. Registers now held Tameside.
    I recently found his RC baptism in the Cheshire records on pilotsearch of Family Search. I received a copy of this baptism record from Chester Record office. (a bargain at 2 quid)
    I think this happens to anyone who has BMD in a town/village near a fluid county boudary.
    I notice on a search for Lancashire on FreeBMD, it will often include Ashton/Stockport in results.
    LancashireBMD and CheshireBMD are a great help in this respect as it shows the sub discticts. For example Audenshaw is in Cheshire for BMD (shows as Stockport on GRO), and shows age at death before 1865. Solved a brickwall for me. Searching Lancs BMD and CheshireBMD can narrow down a search as it shows sub district.
    Hope i haven't confused the issue!!

A fountain of knowledge

Hiya Mona.....my ancestors are from Hyde , Heaton Norris and they`re down as CHESHIRE......allan