Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cheryl*S

Ok, yes, I will joing jgsgb.

Samuel, Phoebe's husband? Phoebe's husband was actually Daniel, only appeared as Samuel on 1871 census so guess that was an error on someone's part. Daniel's was a general dealer, he was born in St Boltolph to Samuel and Sarah (nee Aaron) who are listed on the 1841 census as being Russian. Daniel had a few brothers who I have been unable so far to track forward in time. It was a younger sister with the unusual name of Brina who appeared on an early census and then on Daniel's death certificate that helped me link Daniel to Samuel and Sarah.

Even though it seems unlikely on the face of it that Phoebe was born in Ireland, it seems most peculiar that she put that as her place of birth on all censuses after leaving her father's house. It does seem strange to me too, if only we could speak to them. thanks for info on population numbers, that's very interesting

JustinL

Cheryl,

There are too many Samuels! I actually meant Hannah's father-in-law.

On the subject of the Jewish community of Bristol, have a read through everything on this page.

.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/bri1/index.htm

The synagogue constitutions in particular should provide an interesting insight into role of religion in your ancestors' lives.

Scrolling to the bottom of that page, you'll see a link to 'Birth & Death Records'. I was r eally excited when I saw it. However, there is a large gap in the records and all your Cohens fall into that gap.

Justin
    Last edited by MarkJ; 11-02-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: fixed link :)

Cheryl*S

Thank you Ladkyis, I am interested in the customs so will put this book on my list. I know so little about the Jewish way of life I haven't asked anything like the questions you have posed above. My Nan showed no hint of her faith other than to give my daughter a Star of David necklace.

Cheryl*S

Hi Justin

I am stuck on Samuel Levy's side. Hannah's husband Samuel is only mentioned on one census and the place of birth is not known for any members of the family. On the 1881 census he is a feather brush maker. Like you rightly said, there are too many Samuels and this means I cannot backtrack any further with the little information I have on him.

I got quite excited re the burials but couldn't see any of my line there.Would babies show up on the burials registers? There are registered deaths for children that fit neatly into this line. If you search Ancestry.co.uk for Cohen births in Bristol between 1838 and 1851 you only get the names of the children in my line for Bristol. If you search the deaths for Bristol in this time span you get babies born and died who fit neatly into the gaps in the family. However, I couldn't find any of the deaths in the burials.

Cohen children born in Bristol incl. those who died

Elizabeth b1838 Q1, d1848 Q4 - on 1841 census but not 1851
    Benjamin Woolf 1839 Q2, d1839 Q4
    Catharine 1840 Q4
    Leah 1841 Q4
    Abraham 1842 Q4
    Sarah 1843 Q4, d1844 Q1
    Jane 1845 Q3
    Jacob 1846 Q1, d1846 Q1
    Woolf Benjamin 1847Q2 (recorded as Benjamin on 1851 census)
    Ann 1848 Q2 this is the child who is Hannah unless there is another birth (Hannah) and death (Ann) not recorded which I think is probably unlikely. The name seems to evolve because in some censuses it is recorded as Annah but her year and place of birth are consistent throughout.

JustinL

Cheryl,

Do you not have Samuel's and Hannah's marriage cert?

I found those birth and death registrations too. I was a bit doubtful about Jacob though; his birth was registered less than 9 months after Jane's.

I would imagine that Hannah was registered as Ann. Do you not have that cert either?

You would have thought that with so much information available for the Bristol community, it would be a doddle to find your Cohens. It's quite maddening.

Justin

Cheryl*S

I haven't got Hannah's birth certificate, I have her sister Leah's as I didn't realise Hannah was a direct line ancester until some time later. Rosetta's maiden name was Phillips and Moses' profession was recorded as a Tailor.

Samuel Levy's father's name was Isaac but recorded as 'dead' (don't mince their words) under rank or profession. Samuel and Hannah were married in the Hambro Synagogue, London in 1872. There was quite an age difference between them, Samuel 39 and Hannah 22.

I agree regarding the birth of Jacob because at most gestation could have only been 8 months at most. However, as it was he, and not he and not Jane that died I think it's reasonable to guess that he may have been premature. Of course, without buying the certificate I can't be sure and at this point of investigation it's not important. My gut instinct, going on the overall trend of one baby a year, and the absence of other Cohen families leads me to think he probably was one of Moses and Rosetta's.

Thanks every so much for looking up these things, it's really helpful to have someone else's ideas. My immediate family is not interested.

JustinL

Hello Cheryl,

I can thoroughly empathise with you when it comes to disinterested immediate families.

But I haven't lost interest in yours. So Samuel lost a few years by the time of the 1881 census.

Have you had any luck finding him with his parents in '51?

Justin

Cheryl*S

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the interest lol. Families eh?

Yes, Samuel did lose a few years on the census but I am assuming that the age on the marriage certificate is nearer to being accurate. I have looked at all the earlier censuses and cannot find a likely fitting Samuel or his father Isaac. Due to Samuel's age it's possible he was independent in 1851 leaving only 1841 to search. I wonder why he married so much later than usual? Could it be possible he was an immigrant? Who knows? I think until I start looking at the Jewish records (procrastinating on that one) I am unlikely to be any closer.

The only reason I am putting off joining Jewish Gen is because I know that once joined I will become absorbed and at the moment I can't spend the time. I usually do most of my 'intense' browsing in the summer when I while away time well into the early hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12