Default can you recommend ...

The time has come, I fear, when I just have to consult the official records for the Royal Navy (18th and early 19th centuries) for leads on my ancestors.

Can anyone recommend a researcher (preferably one that will leave me with both arms and legs intact) who does research in the Royal Navy records - recommendations via PM of course.

I am looking for their Lieutenant's exams etc and any reference to their marriages. I am sure that both widows would have received a pension so that's another avenue. I cannot find that the LDS has filmed the records although they seem to have some. If you know of any other way of accessing these records .... please let me know

many thanks
    daryl

Geoffers

I don't know of a researcher, but any chance of posting a few details about who, when and where? - just in case it is possible to identify specific documents (or suggest other lines of research) in The Catalogue and elsewhere which you may be able to order from TNA.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Daryl,
    There is a lady on here who's eyes light up at the mention of Naval records,if you post,she will come.
    Eric

The Commisssioned Sea Officers of the Royal Navy 1660-1815

Henry Duncan, L 21 Sep 1759, CR 26 May 1768, CA 7 Feb 1776
    Arthur French Duncan, L 4 July 1782
    Henry Duncan, L 4 Apr 1791, CR 26 May 1797, CA 24 Apr 1802

Hopefully the documents recording these events may (especially the Lieutenants exams?) give me an age for each of these

I have their baptisms but for the younger Henry Duncan and for Arthur French Duncan these are obviously some time after their births. If their baptisms were close to their birth dates then they would have reached the rank of Lieutenant at the age of 13. I think not.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    daryl

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Daryl

This appears to be your first Henry Duncan

.clan-duncan.co.uk/henry-duncan-rn.html

Martin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854
    Daryl
    .clan-duncan.co.uk/henry-duncan-rn.html
    Whose will can be downloaded from TNA - Henry DUNCAN of Mount Pleasant.

If the other two mentioned are related there may be mention in the will.

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Daryl

.clan-duncan.co.uk/henry-duncan-rn.html"

Martin
    Thanks Martin. Yes, indeed that is the elder Henry Duncan. John got that information from an article bu J K Laughton in the Naval Miscellanies. The footnote on the page correcting Henry Duncan's date of birth was contributed by me. The elder Henry Duncans date of birth is known and the interest in his Lieutenant's exams etc is to see how accurate ages, if given, are.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Whose will can be downloaded from TNA - Henry DUNCAN of Mount Pleasant.

If the other two mentioned are related there may be mention in the will.
    Thanks Geoffers. I have that will. The younger Henry Duncan and Arthur French Duncan are the sons of the elder Henry Duncan and both predeceased their father.
    I have all I need on the relationships but do not have dates of birth for the younger Henry Duncan and Arthur French Duncan. As indicated above IF there baptisms took place close to their dates of birth then they would have acheived the rank of Lieutenant at the tender age of 13. This is why I believe that their baptisms took place some years after their births.

The elder Henry Duncan married Mary French who was the daughter of Arthur French. They had three children Henry, Arthur French and Isabella. Isabella married Thomas Twysden
    The younger Henry Duncan died leaving two daughters

The full complement of naval Duncans is
    Duncan, Adam Viscount L1755 ADM 107/4
    Duncan, Arthur French L1782 ADM 107/8
    Duncan, Henry (1) L1759 ADM 107/5
    Duncan, Henry (2) L1791 ADM 107/14
    Duncan, Hon. Henry (3) L1803 ADM 6/100, ADM 107/129

all of whom are related.
    Does anyone know if the above mentioned ADM 107 records have been microfilmed or are otherwise available?
    thanks
    daryl

Hollytree

ADM 107 are lieutenants passing certificates and as far as I can see on the TNA's catalogue they aren't microfilmed yet, not sure if there is any intent to do so either. The ADM series at TNA are vast to say the least!

But do you know if one of your Henry Duncan's was on HMS Comet? Because if he was the Captain then I have some images of the log and other bits and piece regarding that ship. It was involved with the mutiny that took place at the Nore in 1797, and a Henry Duncan is signing letters to the Admiralty. He doesn't write the letters, his clerk does that, but he signs them. Also there is Admiral Duncan, who is in charge of the North Fleet at the same time I think.

Doesn't help with baptisms etc that you are looking for tho'

Anne