Default William Hedges 1891,1901 lookup request

It has only just occurred to me that I just might, with luck, get a lead on one of my "unsolveds"
    I am convinced that William Hedges, his wife Eliza and daughter Annie returned to England from New Zealand. It was only after the death of her parents that Annie returned to New Zealand to stay with her sister.

So I am looking for these folk on the 1891 and 1901 census records (I am sure Annie was back in NZ by the 1911 census)

William Hedges was born in Essex in 1840 (Braintree or Bocking)

Thanks
    daryl

pattenwalsh

There is a Annie Hedges b1861 Braintree Essex on the 1891 census at Braintree Union Workhouse.Shown as a pauper general domestic servent cripple.
    Ref RG13:Piece 1723:Folio:121 Page:9
    Copyright TNA

Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    There is a Annie Hedges b1861 Braintree Essex on the 1891 census at Braintree Union Workhouse.Shown as a pauper general domestic servent cripple.
    Ref RG13:Piece 1723:Folio:121 Page:9
    Copyright TNA
    Thanks pattenwalsh - this entry does have a certain "resonance" although it might just open a can of worms.
    I have not been able to locate a birth for Annie but have located a birth in India for an Emma about whom we know nothing. There has been a suggestion that "Aunty Annie" required "looking after" which fits well with the Workhouse Annie being a cripple. William and Eliza were married in 1862 which does not negate the possibility that Annie was their daughter.

Does Annie also show up in the 1871 ad 1881 census records?

William, Eliza and daughter Alice went out to India and returned to England prior to coming to New Zealand.

daryl

pattenwalsh

Yes Annie does show up in the 1871 census,(I checked this earlier when doing the 1891 search)and she is at the same institution shown as born 1865 aged 6.And 1881 still at the same place age 17 shown born 1864
    Sorry my earlier posting showing servant cripple refers to the 1901 census not 1891.So this person was in the same institution from at least 1871 to 1901.

I must tidy up this loose end. Despite my conviction that William Hedges and his wife Eliza and daughter Annie had returned to England I now have the proof that they did not. Furthermore it would appear that the mysterious Annie assigned to this family by stories handed down belongs to the previous generation and, it seems, arrived in New Zealand in 1910. At least the person found who arrived in 1910 matches 'our' Annie in all the details we have about both.
    So that is one family story completely debunked.
    daryl