fountainpen

Default Chief boatman / coastguard 1861 Flamborough

I have an ancestor who in 1851 & 1861 was Chief boatman / coastguard 1861 in Flamborough.

Im wondering if there is somekind of maritime site with regards to coastguards etc .I was hoping they may hold documentaion on him?

busyglen

If you go here, which is a link on this forum, you might be able to get further information, as the records are at the National Archives.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...317#post357317

Good luck.

Glenys

stickymone

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpen View Post
    I have an ancestor who in 1851 & 1861 was Chief boatman / coastguard 1861 in Flamborough.

Im wondering if there is somekind of maritime site with regards to coastguards etc .I was hoping they may hold documentaion on him?
    Hi Fountainpen,

Glenys is right, if your chap has a service record it’s likely to be held at the Archives

Just go to ‘Documentsonline’ and click on Navy
    You will see on the right a heading Registers of Seamen’s Services.
    Click on search and enter your chaps details
    If he’s there you can download his record for £3.50 (The Coastguard was under the control of the Admiralty during the times you refer to hence the search under Navy)

Another resource is the Coastguards of yesteryear site (just Google it) They’re a friendly bunch and although their expertise is Coastguards on the Irish coast they have a wealth of information and advice.

You may have already checked this out but, have you looked on the Genuki site?
    I see there’s a lot of information on Flamborough Station

Good Luck

Stickymone

Geoffers

A section of Documentsonline called 'digital microfilm' has coastguard records available to download. The records are not indexed so you have to work through them, the (pdf) file sizes are often very large, so you do need good broadband connection - but - the records are free.

racing girl

There's also the list of Coastguard personnel through the census on Genuki as collected by Stan Waight and friends. It lists the personnel and more importantly, their locations, from 1841 onwards. This will help locating your chap in the free downloads Geoffers has linked too as they moved the personnel around the country frequently.

Brenda

Chris perrett

I have downloaded some of the coastguard records and have some entries for Flamborough Head - Hull, Have you a name that you are looking for

Chris

fountainpen

Hi , Thanks yes
    His name is JAMES HORN born 1850 Yorkshire .He was in Famboro & filey a chief boatman in the coast guard service.His father was a seaman too.
    Many thanks by the way for all the help Ive had off everyone with this querie !

stickymone

Hi Fountainpen,

If he was born 21st Dec 1849 at Aldborough Yorks then his service record is available for download at The National Archives

Stickymone