Mike M

Smile William Mahoney, Commissioned Boatman

Hi
    I have been trying to download records (Establishment Books) from Documents Online regarding UK/Irish Coastguards. Todate I have had no success. I am trying to find information on my great grandfather William Mahoney who served in the Coastguard from approx mid 1870 to his retirement in 1900? In the 1881 census he was living in Tywardreath, Cornwall with his wife Annie (Hannah) and six kids. I also know he spent some time in Polkerris, Cornwall in 1876-1877 but by 1879 was back in Ireland. His youngest son was born in Rostellan. Does anybody have access to Coastguard Records and can provide info on William - he was born in approx 1844 possibly 1845 in Cork, Ireland - but I don't know his date of birth or which town in Ireland that he came from. It was probably Midleton or Aghada. Can anybody provide any assistance?
    Mike M.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Can I suggest that you look at the service records on the National Archives website (link below)

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...rst%5Fdate+asc

These can be downloaded for a small fee. If you think your man was born in 1844/45 I would download the record in the ADM 188 series. This covers the period FROM 1873, which better fits your man. If he had prior service and signed up for Continuous Service prior to 1873 his CS number should be in the top left hand corner of the 1873 record, which would then help you identify the correct earlier record. I should caution you that this will have no family information.

Unfortunately there is a hole in the Coastguard Records from the late 1860's to the 1900's.

Martin

Mike M

Hi Christanel,
    Yes I had come across the sites before. They are good for background on the history of the Coastguard.
    all the best Mike M

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Mike

I have checked the CG Records that are available for the late 1860's at Polkerris, and this came up trumps, although it is likely to set you off in a completely different direction than the one you were going in!!!

William Mahoney was born in London, Middlesex on 29th July 1843 - Official Navy Number 68070. He was rated a Commissioned Boatman with 2 Good Conduct Badges. He signed on for Continuous Service on 29 July 1871 for 10 years. There is also an earlier record for the same man when he signed on in 1861.

Having looked again at the National Archives site (Link above) your man is there. Obviously knowing he was born in England will give you access to his birth certificate, and all the information this can provide. I did copy the relevant page from ADM 175/33 and could email it to you as an attachment if you wished.

Martin
    (Coastguards of Yesteryear)