Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Joseph Edward Wyckaert - born 1873

The 1901 census has Joseph in the Royal Navy Hospital in Alverstoke, Hamoshire and the lady that he married in 1905, was a servant in Portsmouth.

1911 census shows him at Sea - aboard the ship "MINERVA" at the RN Dockyards in Malta. His Military deatils are - as abbreviated - Sto Po Engineer. TNA Crown Copyright,

I'm interested in the following:
    1] A history of the Minerva
    2] When did Joseph join and retire? from the Navy?
    3] What would be his duties as outlined above?
    4] Any other info on his Naval career

Thanks in advance for any help

Colin

cfww2

Would appear that he received the Queen's South Africa Medal whilst on the HMS Powerful:

angloboerwar.com/rn_ships/powerful_qsa.htm

CF
    Last edited by Geoffers; 21-01-2010 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Direct URL removed

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by cfww2 View Post
    Would appear that he received the Queen's South Africa Medal whilst on the HMS Powerful:

angloboerwar.com/rn_ships/powerful_qsa.htm

CF
    Thank you, CF

Can you tell me anything about the award? This may account for him being in the RN hospital in 1901.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thank you, CF

Can you tell me anything about the award? This may account for him being in the RN hospital in 1901.

Colin
    After posting the response above, I 'googled' and found a site that explained some of the details of the clasps attached. These appear to to relate to specific engagements and presumanly the number in [] on this lisitng of recipents on HMS 'Powerful' is for the # of clasps.

My chap has [0] so was he not actively involved in specific engagements? As a 'stoker' he probably has minimal trainig with regard to 'fighting' - just basic skill training [hopefully, I'm not doing him a dis-service].

Comments on my line of thought appreciated
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

My chap has [0] so was he not actively involved in specific engagements? As a 'stoker' he probably has minimal trainig with regard to 'fighting' - just basic skill training [hopefully, I'm not doing him a dis-service].

Comments on my line of thought appreciated
    Colin
    Further 'googling' has developed more info and in addition I now have his service records.

HMS Powerful
    Served in the Boer War from October 1899 to March 1900 and was commanded by Captain - Hedworth Lambton. It was a 1st Class Twin Screw Cruiser. She was used in the relief of Ladysmith to land Naval brigades.

Joseph Edward Wyckaert
    He joined the Navy in October 1895 and was in the service for 22 years. He served on many ships during that period
    His final ship was HMS Pembroke 11, on which he served from June 1914 until [if I read his service record correctly] he remained with until joining the Royal Naval Reserve in October 1917.

Hope this additional info. is of interest

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Thank you, crimea1854, for your assistance in understanding the detail on the Service Record. Joseph's 3 sons are all deceased, but may have had the medals in their possession.

I wonder what happened to them as apart from any monetary value, there would be a lot of 'sentimental value' attached

Cheers
    Colin

ham03kids

Default Royal Navy Hospital, Alverstoke, Hampshire

I too have an ancestor who was in the Royal Navy Hospital in Alverstoke. William James Hamson a Stoker in the R.N.

I was just wondering if you might know how I can get hold of his medical records please?

Thanks
    Mel

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ham03kids View Post
    I too have an ancestor who was in the Royal Navy Hospital in Alverstoke. William James Hamson a Stoker in the R.N.

I was just wondering if you might know how I can get hold of his medical records please?

Thanks
    Mel
    Hi Mel.

I have had no luck in finding this since my last post on this thread. I've 'googled' to no avail, and I'm not sure that the place even exists now. Hopefully someone more ezperienced with obtaining military information can assist both of us.

Cheers
    Colin

bibliojunkie

I think the hospital you refer to is Haslar Royal (Naval) Navy Hospital in Gosport. Alverstoke is a suburb of Gosport. The first patients were admitted in 1753 and it closed last year I believe.

Ali

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have had no luck in finding this since my last post on this thread. I've 'googled' to no avail, and I'm not sure that the place even exists now
    Colin, you can use the Hospital Records Database.

Enter Haslar in the top box, and Search
    Click Details (far right)
    On the resulting page, scroll to the bottom for the location of records.

Kerrywood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast