Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default My 6yr journey has ended - I hope & pray!!

In 2004 I started on a journey to find my dad's father. My dad was illegitimate, conceived in 1918 and born February 1, 1919.

Many of my threads since joining B-G have centred on this puzzle, so I won't rebore you with details as the threads are still here for review. What is sufficient to say is that regardless of how frivolous or improperly phrased, they were well received and many,many folks responded. Some responses iritated or upset me, but the vast majority helped me along the way and for that I am eternally, grateful.

There was also assistance from members of Ancestry and Gene's Re. as well as guests of B-G who, having reviewed my threads also contacted me [how this was done, I'm not sure as my contact info. here doesn't include my email address]. Regardless, their help [particularly from descendents of my dad's biological father's family have proved invaluable.

At one point, a mention was made about the services of M.I.5 and 6, however there was an embargo on providing information until either 50 years after death or retirement. Such time frame has now expired and contact has been made and an acknowledgement has been received of certain persons within this family were involved, but would only be released upon proof of relationship. This has now been sent. My interpetation of this enbargo may be incorrect, as 2 sisters were also Government employees and the last one retired in 1959. That was why I held off in contact.

Now to back-track somewhat. For as long as I can remember, my dad had an expression - "the family that plays together, stays together". All through the years since I found out about his illegitimacy, all he would say was 'the family knows more than they're saying".

Certain things happened in the 1970's, which, at that time, didn't mean much. Life went on pretty much as usual. Those events, in retrospect, pointed to a potential father.

Now over the years, I've had a chance to review the information I had received from others and decicded to get the Wills of everybody in the family, the parents, the 4 siblings and the one spouse [my dad's mum]. In doing some research while awaiting the Wills, I found out that one firm had been taken over and had a Wills Team that could provide information on Wills of customers of firms that they had acquired. So in late March I sent a letter and waited - and waited. All the Wills arrived indue course over the weeks, some were useful, others not. More wait for the Wills Team to respond.

Last week the Wills Team responded and -- guess what? 2 documents that were not part of the Will were included. One concerned Title to a Funeral Plot, bought in 1935 and granting, upon the death of the owner, the right of burial or a remembrance stone to 2 certain individuals.

So, I posted a thread. A certain gentleman, and he knows who he is [and I am indebted to him] offered to visit the site of the grave. I expected, when the pictures arrived to see 3 names. Was I wrong!!!

Early this morning I received an email with pictures of the grave site. Yes, the man and the other 2 people I expected to see there, were there - - but -- so were his parents, his brother, my grandmother - in other words 7 people in all, commemorated as a family in the same plot. [See my dad's saying above].

Later today, when I showed this to dad, he said "I am satisfied that is my true birth family, don't go any more on it". Just now, and he's getting ready to go to bed and looking over my shoulder, he said - "if I die tonite and meet that s.o.b. that kept this secret from me for all these years, then I'll punch him in the nose, as he's a bigger b-----d than I am"

That is my lot for today. Others are welocme to respond, but if it relates to my other threads, please stick it there

Thanks
    Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Good job,well done Colin. It deserves its' rest.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Famous for offering help & advice

Colin...

You have been like a dog, digging for that elusive bone, but it appears that all that digging has paid off for you. I am glad your Dad is happy with the results.

Sue

ET in the USA

Congratulations, I'm glad some of the wills helped. I'll tell Mike too, since he looked up most of them.

Elaine

Procat

Congratulations on your success Colin. You certainly deserve it with all the effort you put in.

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Oh well done Colin so pleased your tenacity has paid off. I've been following your trials and tribulations and glad you have now managed to satisfy yourself and Dad as to the "suspicions" I can well understand his frustrations. As to your dad's expression...how true, and another comes to mind - if at first you don't suceed, try try and try again - you have certainly made that your own.............Lesley

bibliojunkie

Great news Colin. It's good to hear of the positive outcome after all your hard work. I loved your father's comments.

Ali

Knowledgeable and helpful

Fantastic news Colin and well done. You must be thrilled.
    Go celebrate!

spison

Colin,
    This just about brought tears to my eyes. I recall how hard you've worked to find this ancestry. Congratulations! It just goes to show that digging hard and long enough will give you wonderful results!
    Jane

Mary Anne

Excellent news, Colin! And the kudos all go to you for persisting and finding out the truth!

Mary Anne

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast