Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bavaria

BeeE586

Default Bavaria

Can anyone tell me please how it is possible to access the prewar records of the town of Regensburg in Bavaria ?

I have Googled Bavarian Archives, an url for Regensburg is unobtainable and to gain access to further information requires a knowledge of the German language (Bitte and Danke is my limit).

Regensburg Wikpedia and other sites has information on Catholic and Lutheran churches and although it is stated that the city had a large Jewish population there are no details of synagogues.

This is my Jewish family that I believe were lost in Auschwitz and I have found that they lived prewar in Regensburg - I know names and want records.

Any advice welcome.

Eileen

stevenpenny

Hi,

Two options spring to mind:

uni-regensburg.de (place www. in front) or museen-regensburg.de (place www. in front).

If you email in basic english you will get a reply.

Regensberg University has a public record archive but to what extent I don't know. As you haven't specified a year it is difficult to comment on this one.

What I can tell you is that on November the 9th 1938, the synagogue was burned down, shops and homes were pillaged, and almost all the men arrested. About 230 Jews were deported in 1942 to Theresienstadt, Auschwitz, and Lublin.

You could also try auschwitz.org.pl/m/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=31 (put en. in front) where you will be able to search the Auchwitz-Birkenau archive.

Steve

Kentincomer

Quote Originally Posted by BeeE586 View Post
    to gain access to further information requires a knowledge of the German language (Bitte and Danke is my limit).

Eileen
    If you tell me what you want to say, I can provide you with a translation, if that would help, as I speak and write very fluent German.

AnnB

Hello Eileen

Have you had a look at Cyndi's List (cyndislist.com with www in front)? There is a large section for Germany, with several references to Bavarian genealogy.

Best wishes
    Ann

CemeteryScribes

Hi Eileen,

Just to add to the suggestion for researching those that perished at Auschwitz - have you looked at Yad Vashem yadvashem.org then go to 'Database of Shoah victims'.

You may find your family members are recorded there and this information could show their address prior to the war, place of birth, spouse, parents or possibly Pages of Testimony given by family members or friends that survived.

CemeteryScribes

BeeE586

To all - thank you. I have looked at both Cyndi's list and Yad Vashem - see my post in Success Stories.
    To Kentincomer - I need to give some thought to your kind offer and will contact you in a day or two by Private Message.
    To Stevenpenny - see Private Message

Eileen

JustinL

Hello Eileen,

Could you perhaps share with us the names of the people you are interested in researching?

Are you looking for records of people who perished in the Shoah or tracing your ancestry further back?

For victims of the Shoah, you could make a start with the International Tracing Service:

https://www.its-arolsen.org/en/homepage/index.html

Regensburg is the adminstrative capital of the district of the Oberpfalz. Many records for that district will have been transferred to the the Staatsarchiv Amberg.

Anschrift: Archivstr. 3, 92224 Amberg
    Tel. 09621/307270
    Fax 09621/307288
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Some Bavarian records have also been transferred to the Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv in Munich:

Anschrift: Schönfeldstraße 5-11, 80539 München
    (Postfach 221152, 80501 München)
    Tel. 089/28638-2596
    Fax 089/28638-2954
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Are you a member of JewishGen's German-Jewish Special Interest Group (GerSIG)?

Justin

BeeE586

Justin - thank you for that information which I shall pass on. The search is proceeding slowly, but for various good and sufficient reasons my friend does not want the names to appear on a public forum and I must respect his wishes.

A search of this sort is very new to me and it is a steep learning curve in a very sensitive area where I am almost afraid to tread.

Eileen

JustinL

Eileen,

I appreciate there might be privacy issues. For that reason, I would strongly suggest that your friend join JewishGen (GerSIG) which is a private subscribers-only forum.

You might like to try searching the online database of Germany's Memorial Book to the Victims of the Holocaust.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/gedenkbuch/directory.html

You can tick the terms 'Wohnort' (Place of residence) and 'Deportationsort' (Place of Deportation) and enter 'Regensburg Auschwitz' in the box 'Suchen nach'.

Justin

BeeE586

Thanks to the very kind help received privately, and more family information, my search has moved to the town of Gleiwitz, Silesia, now in Poland but formerly in Prussia and Germany. Wikpedia has supplied lots of information about the geography ahd history of the place but nothing as to the whereabouts of archives, nor has Googling for Prussian archives, Silesian archives and everything else that I can think of. I need records back from about 1905.

Please, any ideas ? I get confused by the constantly changing boundaries.

Eileen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast