Famous for offering help & advice

Default Partridge Island quarantine station

I learnt something new yesterday!
    All the searching I have done to find relatives' arrivals in Canada and it took a call about my home internet bill to learn something new! While speaking to "William" about the usage on my bill he asked me if I was aware of Partridge Island. William lives in New Brunswick and Partridge Island is in the harbour at St.John. It housed several Quarantine stations, especially during the arrival of Irish Famine immigrants. I am familiar with both Grosse Ile and Ellis Island, but had not heard of Partridge Island.
    I did some searching and read about it, but unfortunatly I have not found any immigrant or ship's lists associated with it.
    William was very helpful and gave me lots of genealogy information on the history of immigrants who passed through St. John to the rest of Canada..not what you would expect from a call center employee It was a nice change!!

Sue

Warning... the pictures of the quarantine site will make you sad.
    https://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/Heri...land/index.htm

bibliojunkie

Thanks for the link Sue. I'd never heard of Partridge Island either. How weird and serendipitious (if that's a word) that your conversation with 'William' led to the information. Last year, the chap who came to set up my new TV happened to be of French Canadian heritage. There he was from South Yorkshire and me from Derbyshire talking about the Hudson's Bay Company!

Ali

v.wells

Well I never heard of Partridge Island before either Sue! What a wonderful bit of info to get out a call centre person! It is an interesting read and it is too bad it is closed to the public, which I suppose, has its merits.