Mary Anne

Default Vancouver address? 1911...

Folks

Can any of our B.C. members tell me what address this would be in Vancouver, in 1911 census?

120-10-6 (I'm thinking something like 120 10th avenue at 6th street??)

Thanks

Mary Anne

v.wells

It's in the Hastings area very close to the waterfront in the city centre. Not a nice district nowadays. It's around the Pacific National Exhibition area which is also close to Stanley Park entrance. Don't remember it well Mary Anne. Last time I was in Vancouver was 1988 to get my son's bagpipes!

It could also be 120 10th St at 6th Ave. Have a google and take your pick at what you favour or think is most fitting for your scenario.

Mary Anne

thanks, Vanessa, that's what I was thinking. I had another bunch of folks in that area not long ago and my tiny brain just couldn't quite reach it....

Jfremont

The Stanley Park Entrance is at the west end of the city and PNE to the east so far apart. If you post the name of the person or reference in the 1911 census maybe I or some Vancouverite can place it better.

John

bibliojunkie

Thanks for that John. When I read Vanessa's post I thought the PNE had moved and was now a waterpark.

Ali

v.wells

I plain don't remember, except that I lived in Vancouver for 10 yrs in the south side on the Fraser River on the way to Burnaby and New Westminster. Went to the Stanley Park Zoo once (never went back) and the PNE, well I went there twice. I used to work down near Hastings street for a printing company but I guess I am too old to remember all that now.

Jfremont

I had a look at the census record for Mary Casselman and believe the address is 120, 10th Avenue East. If you look back a page you will see Main Street and Ontario Street. Ontario Street runs north-south and is the dividing line between Vancouver East and West. Main Street is one block east of Ontario Street. 10th Avenue runs east-west.

John

Mary Anne

jfremont

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this, and for sharing your local knowledge!

Mary Anne