brendaponting

Default Returning to England question

Good Morning,

I have a question concerning my Grandmothers return to England.

My grandmother ( born in England ) returned to England ,with my father ( born in Canada) in 1919, this fact is noted on the passenger list for their return to Canada in 1927

However after searching a pay site , I was unable to find them on any UK incoming passengers list, I tried using her married name as well as her maiden name,any other variants of both names, but I did not find anything even remotely close.

Is there some reason for this ? I thought that maybe it was because my grandmother was born in England, but so was was grandfather and I was able to find his return.

Regards,
    Brenda

SBSFamilyhistory

Hi Brenda, if they are not still alive post their details so we can try and find them for you.

Sue

brendaponting

Hi Sue,
    The only site that I have tried was A******y , with a world subscription, but maybe someone with more experience can try something different.

GRACE CHADDERTON ( nee WHALLEY ) born 1891, Burnley
    HARRY CHADDERTON , BORN , Montreal, Canada

Nov 20 1919, was the date listed for the return to England.

Their address in Montreal would have been 192 D'aragon .
    Her husband, though not travelling, was James Chadderton.

Many Thanks,
    Brenda

SBSFamilyhistory

Hi Brenda, I have found the trip back to Canada in 1927, just a thought, what makes you think he was born in Canada?

Do you know Grace's maiden name?

Sue
    Last edited by SBSFamilyhistory; 14-01-2010 at 3:43 PM. Reason: sounded abrupt

janbooth

Default CHADDERTON

Hi Brenda,

They were both on the steamship "Scandinavian" of the Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Line arriving at Liverpool on 6 December 1919 and their details are as follows:

Grace CHADDERTON European address 137 (or 9) Common Street, Bolton, Lancs, Wife, over the age of 17, not accompanied by husband/wife, 1 female
    Harry CHADDERTON, Infant, aged 10, but down as a female!!

HTH

Janet

brendaponting

Hi ladies,
    Thank you both very much !

Jan, Thats them, the address is correct , its for the family of her husband , they had been living there since at least 1911 and as late as 1927.is there a copy of that passenger list that I can save to my tree?

Sue, I have from fathers baptismal certificate from Canada. My grandmother first came to canada in 1912 , and married in 1914 , my father was born in 1917.

Brenda

janbooth

Default Grace CHADDERTON

Brenda,

I viewed it using Ancestry putting in Grace's full name. Ignore any info beside it - from memory it brought up some reference to Brazil!! If you have a subscription you should be able to save the list to your computer.

Janet

brendaponting

Hi Jan,
    I actually saw that , but totally ignored it ! Thank you so much.

Brenda.