Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carolyn28

Question Dursley Glouc. England workhouse

I have ancestors in the Dursley workhouse in the 1841 census Dursley, Gloucestershire England

Joseph Hart/abt 5
    James Hart/abt 7
    Mary Hart/abt 30

I have never heard of them since. Is there a death record or a release or anything that would have tracked them to where they went or if they died???

I know that their father was in prison at this time.

Regards
    Carolyn28

Jan1954

Hello Carolyn,

If you visit the Workhouse website (workhouses.org.uk/ - put www. in front) and enter Dursley into the sarch box, it will tell you about the workhouse.

According to the website, the Gloucester Archives have the Guardians' minutes from 1836 to 1933. There may be something mentioned therein about them.

SBSFamilyhistory

I can only find a possible death for Joseph in Dursley 1847 June Q v 11 p 250 there is nothing for James or Mary.

You say that his father/her husband was in prison. Do you know when he was released and where they came from prior to his imprisionment?

janbooth

Default HART family

According to the actual census image James HART was aged 9 and not born in the county of Gloucestershire although Joseph & Mary were.

What was the name of Mary's husband?? It might help us trace where James was born/baptised.

Janet

Carolyn28

Default Dursley Workhouse

Hi
    James Hart was chr in the Independent Non conformist church 12 Dec 1831 Kingswood at that time under the jurisdiction of Wiltshire.

*Note this is Kingswood nr Wooton underedge and was under the jurisdiction of Wiltshire and then Gloucestershire. It is situated in Gloucestershire nr Wooton underedge.

Joseph was chr in the Independent Non conformist church 18 May 1836 Kingswood probably at that time it could have been under the jurisdiction of Gloucestershire rather than Wiltshire.

Mary, could be an aunt to these boys. She would be a step sister of their father Stephen Hart. She was probably born in Westbury Wiltshire England. I don't think she was married. She would be age 30. Her parents would be Stephen Hart and Mary Spencer.

It is possible she isn't related. Stephen's wife Elizabeth died in 1838 and I though perhaps she went to live with Stephen's young children. when they were put in the workhouse she wouldn't have had a place to live either.....(that is not a fact)....

Stephen was tried 3 Mar 1841 a 6 month sentence.

There were three older children and one younger one.

Ann was 20 in Bristol (1841 census)
    John
    Samuel Cornelius...I can't find either of these boys in the 1841 census...
    David was between James and Joseph and may have died? or living elsewhere??

Thank you
    Carolyn28

janbooth

Default HART family

Hello again Carolyn,

So presumably I have the correct marriage at Kingswood on 20 February 1814 by banns between Stephen HART & Elizabeth HOLLISTER (Gloucestershire Marriage Index).

According to my Gloucestershire Baptismal Index 1813-37, there are the following baptisms at Kingswood nr Wotton to a Stephen & Elizabeth HART, Clothworker:

3 August 1815 Cornelius HART
    13 January 1822 John HART
    14 March 1824 James HART
    29 October 1826 Caroline HART
    8 June 1828 Samuel HART

Will have a look to see if I can find any of them on the census records.

Janet

janbooth

Default Stephen HART

Could this be Stephen in the 1851 census of Kingswood:

HO107/1958, folio 26, page 10

Stephen HART Lodger Widower 68 Ag Lab Wilts Westbury

He is lodging in the household of a Charles BRUTON, aged 47, Shoemaker, his wife Harriet & family.

Must get lunch now so will carry on in the afternoon.

Janet

janbooth

Default HART family

Sorry, I missed off the baptismal record of Ann HART, bap 31 May 1819 at Kingswood St Mary, parents Stephen & Elizabeth, Spinner from my previous post.

I am having the greatest difficulty finding any of your family in the census records - they can't all have died!!

I may have found your Ann HART, but I am not even sure about that as I can't find any census records to substantiate whether I have the correct Ann HART and there are a lot of HARTs in Kingswood!! There is a marriage according to the Gloucestershire Marriage Index 1800-37 of an Ann HART at Kingswood on 11 October 1835 to a John ANDREWS. There is then a subsequent baptism at Kingswood on 3 April 1836 of a William ANDREWS, son John & Ann, Weaver. After that - zilch!! What may be interesting - or perhaps a total red herring - is that on looking for a burial for this William ANDREWS born c1836 on the Gloucestershire Burial Index - and finding nothing - I saw this entry for a William Hart ANDREWS buried 1 November 1969 at Oxenton, of Myrtle Cottage. Perhaps it is just coincidence though.

Will keep searching though.

Janet

Carolyn28

Default Re: Hart

Janet
    Thank you so much for the searches

You are correct on all of them.
    There is another Samuel Hart 31 May 1819 Kingswood he died 30 June 1829. a son of Stephen Hart and Elizabeth Hollister.

Ann was born 31 May 1819 Kingswood. Probably twins.

Samuel Cornelius was born 1 May 1828 Kingswood also
    Samuel Cornelius was my ancestor...He was probably named after the previous Samuel and Cornelius that died.

The last three little boys
    James, David, (11 November 1833 Kingswood Independent Church, Wiltshire England.. Joseph were christened in the Independent church in Kingswood, where as, the older children were christenened in St. Mary's Kingswood.
    Stephen and Elizabeth were married in St. Marys.

Ann was in the 1841 census in St Phillips Jacobs inout
    North by the turnpike road to Bath barrow lane as far as the brooke barrow lane to the back house Liberty of Barton Reges (St. Philip Jacob)
    ??Hill
    she was a cotton spinner. She is listed with about 8 girls also cotton spinner..
    I can't read the head of the house.
    He was a gardener./55
    his wife was Chariti./50
    a daughter Mary Ann 20.

girls were:
    Ann Hart/20cotton spinner
    Maria Hugh/20/cotton spinner
    Leaiz Hughs/26/cotton spinner
    Ann Gillman/20/cotton spinner
    Ann Wright/20/cotton spinner
    Sarah Wright/20/cotton spinner
    Sarah Webb20/cotton spinner
    Ann Webb/20/cotton spinner

I know she died in 1848 or 49 I think in Bristol.???
    I don't know if she married ????

So Cornelius, Samuel, James, Caroline died young..
    Ann about 1849
    John lived cannot find him in the 1841 census could have been in Manchester?
    Samuel Cornelius cannot find him in the 1841 census could have been in Manchester
    (I have searched Manchester also and couldn't find them either.
    I find John in 1851 census in Bristol
    I find Samuel Cornelius 1851 census in Salford, Manchester Lancshire on Hill Street, married with one child living with his inlaws James Leah and Sarah

James and Joseph in 1841 census in workhouse
    David????don't know if he died between birth 1833-1841?
    haven't found any entry.

Stephen Hart had a sister Sarah..she may have died as a child. could have been christened in Kingswood 1896?
    He had also two step sisters Martha abt 1800 probably Westbury Wiltshire and Mary abt 1807 probably Westbury Wiltshire..They are shown in a overseers record in 1814 from Westbury to Kingswood.

That is about all I know of the children.

Elizabeth died in 1838
    Stephen died in 1859. That is him in the 1851 census.

Carolyn28

nannyval

Hello, did this family have a home address in Kingswood, Wootton under Edge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast