Marchbank

Default Would love some help with my HITCHINGS

Spelt lots of variations including HUTCHINGS/HITCHINS/HICHINGS/HUTCHINS/also possibly without the 'H'

Can anyone help find my 6x gr-grandfather?

Francis Hitchings born c 1704 Michinhampton,GLS. parents unknown but named his boys Daniel and Thomas repeatedly until one survived early childhood.

I only have Minchinhampton as place of birth from the marriage details, so could be completely in the wrong place. Proceeding generations are in Stroud,GLS.

Married Susannah CLOSE born c1701 Minchinhampton,GLS., in Sep 1729 also in Mnchinhampton. She was the daughter of Johnathon CLOSE. They had 9 children at least between 1729 & 1745.

So far have not been able to find Francis or Susanna's deaths.

I am descended through the eldest son John who married Mary KING, their youngest son Job was my 4 x gr -grandfather

A couple of generations after Francis they were non-conformists, but do not know if Francis would have been?

Sonia

The Glos genealogical database from Glos Archives is quite good on variant spellings.
    https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/ar...article/107388

Include some HitchOns wills 1780s Minchinhapton which might shed some light on Francis.

Also noticed another Daniel - Horsley 1800s.

HTH

P.S. Relate to your query as I have an isolated Hichens in my family and also only guesswork as to her origins. Hannah Hichens m. John Merry 1764 Arlingham. In our case we even wonder if the name should be Higgens as there is a grandson with Higgens as a middle name ... though also a few Hitchens families in surrounding villages ... who knows ....? No progress on this after decades of research on all the other branches ....! Thanks for the Itchens idea too.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default HITCHINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Marchbank View Post
    Spelt lots of variations including HUTCHINGS/HITCHINS/HICHINGS/HUTCHINS/also possibly without the 'H'

Can anyone help find my 6x gr-grandfather?

Francis Hitchings born c 1704 Michinhampton,GLS. parents unknown but named his boys Daniel and Thomas repeatedly until one survived early childhood.

I only have Minchinhampton as place of birth from the marriage details, so could be completely in the wrong place. Proceeding generations are in Stroud,GLS.

Married Susannah CLOSE born c1701 Minchinhampton,GLS., in Sep 1729 also in Mnchinhampton. She was the daughter of Johnathon CLOSE. They had 9 children at least between 1729 & 1745.

So far have not been able to find Francis or Susanna's deaths.

I am descended through the eldest son John who married Mary KING, their youngest son Job was my 4 x gr -grandfather

A couple of generations after Francis they were non-conformists, but do not know if Francis would have been?
    Hello Marchbank,

Maybe this helps?

1704 Generation & Issue (1)
    Francis H* 1704 Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire Husband Married 25.09.1729
    Susanna Close *** 02.10.1701 Minchinhampton Wife
    John H 1730 Minchinhampton Son
    Daniel 1731 Minchinhampton Son 12.11.1731
    Thomas christened 12.09.1731 Minchinhampton Son 01.07.1732
    Thomas 1734 Minchinhampton Son
    Daniel 1735 Minchinhampton Son
    George 1736 Minchinhampton Son
    Josiah 1738 Minchinhampton Son
    Sarah 1741 Minchinhampton Daughter
    Simon 1743 Minchinhampton Son
    Samuel 1744 Minchinhampton Son 1744
    Mary 1745 Minchinhampton Daughter

1730 Generation & Issue (2)
    John H 1730 Minchinhampton Husband Married in 1751
    Mary King ? ? Wife
    Sarah 1755 Minchinhampton Daughter
    Betty 1755 Minchinhampton Daughter
    John H 1758 Minchinhampton Son
    Sarah 1760 Minchinhampton Daughter
    Mary 1762 Minchinhampton Daughter
    John 1764 Minchinhampton Son
    Susannah 1766 Minchinhampton Daughter
    Rebecca 1767 Minchinhampton Daughter
    Job ? ? Son

*** Susanna Close born 02.10.1701, died 1745+, married Francis Hitchings 1704 – 1745+ on 25.09.1729 at Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire.

There is a tree on Ancestry which lists the children of Francis Hitchings and Susannah Close. 11 children christened and 3 children buried.

The parents of Susannah Close were - father: Jonathan Close, born 1645, christened 21 March 1667 at Minchinhampton, - mother: Elinor White born 1651.

Jonathan Close’s father was Stephen Close.

Jonathan Close (assume Susannah's brother) christened 1693, and his wife Mary - christened their daughter Susannah Close - 6 September 1728.

Question: Who were the parents of Francis Hitchings b 1704?