Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Trying to find Eliza Mary O'Meara

My Great Grandmother Eliza Mary O'Meara, Married my Great Grandfather George Fulcher in Bengal India in 1869, she was 14 he was 28. He was a Colour Seargent in the 77th East Middlesex Regiment. They returned to England on the ship HMS Jumna departing Bombay 14/4/1870 and arrived at Portsmouth on the 25/5/1870. They resided in England and raised a Family of 11 children, and this part of their lives is fairley well documented.

I can not find any record of Elizas' birth even though all the census results state she was born aprox. 1854 in Chatham Kent, and also I can not find any trace of her Parents. Were Eliza's parents in the Army In India
    or was she there as a servant and how did the O'Mearas arrive in India? The date of their marriage was the 12Th August 1869 under special liscence.

I have searched amongst all the O'Meara Births and Marriages to no avail perhaps there is someone out there who can unravel this mystery.

giveover

Default Eliza Mary O'Meara

Hi Gengrant, on the 1911 it says she was born in Chatham, Kent but in next column it says she was a British subject by parentage.
    If it is the same person she was a Chapel keeper, had 12 children , of who, six were still alive.
    She was married for 34 years.

Anne

Hi Anne,
    Yes that is her in 1911 census , I always thought Her Parents were of Irish decent,how did you find out the other deatails eg 12 Children (I can only confirm 11 ) and british subject by Parentage etc. I konw what this means, but what does it imply.

Cheers Gavin (NZ)

giveover

Hi Gavin,

The info is on the 1911 census. Pm me and I can send you the info.

I am not too up on census info but I believe it means that anyone born in a Place ruled by England at that time could be a British subject if their parents were. Not sure how Ireland works. Similar today, as children under 18 can apply for a British passport if parents were born in Britain. At least that is my understanding from information for my children.

It seems possible that Eliza Mary was born in India.

Best wishes
    Anne

v.wells

Sounds like Eliza & George were (at least he was) in the military. Overseas Army Birth/deaths/marriages can be found on findmypast. India was under British Rule during that time. It is possible that Eliza is of English heritage and parents in the military as well. Wives often travelled with their husbands during those times.

The information held on the marriage certs often give military details and the same type of information as the GRO indexed ones. You use the year, vol, page and "Army BMD's Complete Title" when ordering certs from the GRO. Tick the box asking if you have the GRO Ref #'s. Do NOT order them from pay per view sites as they are far more expensive.

Mutley

There were a couple of O'Meara births in Bengal on the GRO Army births but not for an Eliza. Sorry I did not make a note of the names.

There was also a Thomas O'Mara registered in 1866 in Chatham. Again I could not see Eliza.

Have you looked at
    https://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

I am in the process of obtaining their Marriage Certificate from the Indian Records Office, so it will be interesting what turns up, thanks for all your help.

v.wells

That is good news gengrant, that you found a "possible" I hope it is correct as it will certainly help you farther in your research. Keep us up to date!

Eliza's Father Thomas O'Meara was in the 18th Irish Regiment of Foot ( The Royal Irish Regiment) who were stationed at Chatam before they went to the Crimean War 1854-1856 . So it is possible she was b in Chatham
    Barracks. Her Mothers Maiden name was Elizabeth Lynch from Tullamore in Ireland