Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Suemc

Quote Originally Posted by usernick View Post
    Fantastic news with the revelation about the Box family - that's probably why I couldn't find him originally in the UK 1911 Census - I should have looked at the other one!

So, I've tried to work backwards to see whether there's anything else that might throw up a clue?

Apparently:

- Joshua Davis married Helena Schmidt in 1877 at Chorlton.
    - There might be a possible death record for Joshua in the Horncastle District, Lincolnshire in 1922 (aged 68). This might have some extra information about people present at the death (I always hope a member of the family is listed, but that's not always the case)!
    - Hermann Davis sounds as though his full name could actually be Richard Hermann Davis - born in Congleton, Cheshire in 1887

I've got the references if you need them (I don't know if you've got any of the above certificates yet)?

Cheers,

Nick
    I do have the marriage certificate for Joshua and Helena. And you are spot on with Hermann Davis - his full name is Richard Hermann Davis and I am just now starting to pull together his info. I know he married a Mary Ellen Lewis (Nellie) and I have them on the 1911 census but that's about it so far.

Joshua Davis died in July 1922 and according to the Lincolnshire Archives did not leave a Will but did leave some money to Richard Hermann Davis. Which brings me back to my original quest to find out what happened to Charlotte Lilly Davis, Richard's sister. Joshua Davis only left money to one child, Richard Hermann Davis. I know now that of the other 3 children, Florence Helene BOX had died in 1905, another son was in South Africa, and the other daughter is the missing Charlotte Lilly Davis. Makes me wonder if she had also died by 1922.... hmmm, off to pursue that thought!

Thanks again Nick!

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Suemc View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to locate LILLY DAVIS on the 1911 Census. I did a search and found the following info but I don't have a subscription. I would so appreciate it if someone could give me any further info from the census.

LILLY DAVIS, born about 1892, aged 19, Salford, Lancashire

Thanks!
    Sue

Is this her birth ? [or have we already gone through this part - I forgot to look properly at the previous posts on this thread ]

Dec 1890

Davis Charlotte Lillie Salford 8d 2

Suemc

Yup, that is her birth, ET. After that she appears on the 1891 Census for Ardwick, Manchester, Lancashire with her family. Then on the 1901 Census for Ardwick also with her family. On the 1911 census the DAVIES (should be DAVIS) family at 21 Craig Street is 'away' so I suppose that could include Charlotte Lillie too if she was still with her family then. But I don't think there is any way of finding out how many family members of the DAVIES family were 'away'. So frustrating!

usernick

Quote Originally Posted by Suemc View Post
    Yup, that is her birth, ET. After that she appears on the 1891 Census for Ardwick, Manchester, Lancashire with her family. Then on the 1901 Census for Ardwick also with her family. On the 1911 census the DAVIES (should be DAVIS) family at 21 Craig Street is 'away' so I suppose that could include Charlotte Lillie too if she was still with her family then. But I don't think there is any way of finding out how many family members of the DAVIES family were 'away'. So frustrating!
    Very true - the only method of finding out if Joshua was there is to look at the Electoral Registers for that year, but they're only available at the Manchester Local Studies Library.

Cheers,

Nick

colonel25

Quote Originally Posted by usernick View Post
    Ah-ha!

Unfortunately, they were away during the census...

Looking at the "Index" for Craig Street, under 21 it states:

"21, Davies, Away"

So, maybe they went abroad??

Cheers,

Nick
    Hi Nick, I too am researching the Davis family from Salford. My wife's great great grandfather is Richard Herman Davis and he is almost as difficult to track as Sue's Lily Davis. I'm beginning to think the whole family went on the run between 1901 and 1911.

I have been in touch with Suemc and we are swapping some information but I'm intrigued as to how you looked up a street on the census. If I try entering "21 Craig Street" in the address search field, I get nothing at all, not for any Craig street anywhere.... What am I doing wrong?? I should explain I am no expert in genealogy as you may guess colonel25

Ballance

You are right about money being left to my Father Richard Hermann Davis. He married my Mother Beatrice when Mary Ellen Lewis died, and she inherited their three children. I have researched my Father Richard in WW1, although he was half German (I was named Ruth Helene, Helena after Helena Schmidt his Mother) he did not tell anybody and so he fought as Royal Engineer and I believe he was a Tunneller - a very dangerous occupation in the war. I still have his Victory medal with his name around the edge.
    I am really intent on tracing my paternal grandmother, Helena Schmidt, but need to find out which part of Germany she came from? and when.

Ballance

My paternal grandfather was Richard Hermann Davis - he fought in WW1 even though he was part German, because he left out his middle name Hermann. He married my Mother Beatrice, when his first wife died. He and his wife had four children, Lena, Richard, Harry and Dorothy, whom my Mother cared for until they left home. Richard and my Father had me and my middle name is Helena after my grandmother. I am trying to find out why and when she came to Britain and what part of Germany she came from.

colonel25

Hello Ballance, My wife's great grandfather is also Richard Hermann Davis. Her grandfather - Richard Bryne Davis is your stepbrother. His mother was Mary E Lewis. My research shows that your were born in 1945 but that you have a brother Roy born in 1928. Is this possible. Also Richard and Mary had four children but I do not have Harry. I have Florence Lillian Davis born 1910 instead. Unfortunately I don't have much information on Helena Schmidt only that her father may have been Klaus Schmidt born in Germany in 1830 no town given I'm afraid.

Ballance

Default Richard Hermann Davis

Thanks for your information, but Richard Hermann Davis was my Father, not my grandfather.
    Richard and Mary did have four children, they were
    Lena Davis, Dorothy Davis, Richard (Dick ) Davis, and Harry Davis.
    Lena became pregnant and Richard threw her out, she ended up in South Africa and was never heard from again. Dorothy became a nun but left eventually. Richard went to live in Penny Come Quick in Plymouth and married a woman called Iris. Because Harry - my stepbrother was so much older, I called him Uncle Harry. He married Audrey and they had two children. I also knew Dorothy well. But I never met Richard.
    The names Florence and Lillian - I don't know where you obtained those, but they were not the children. I know this because my Mother became the stepmother to the four. There were no others.
    Yes, I was born in 1945. My Father - Richard Hermann Davis - died in 1952, but I remember him well. He died of cancer. He was not loved by his children from his first marriage, not the children from the second, because he was a harsh man. That may or may not be because of his experiences in WW1, but I will never know. Although I no longer have any photographs, I can recall his face in detail. Good luck with your searches.

colonel25

Hello Ruth (hope it's OK to call you this) Sorry yes of course your father was Richard Hermann Davis and he was my wife's Great Grandfather. You say you have never heard of Florence Lillian Davis but she is shown living with Richard and Nellie (Mary) Davis in Shepton Mallet in the 1911 census. She may have married a George Raymond in Devonport, Plymouth in 1931?? I also have a Roy Davis with mothers surname Ballance born 1928 in South Manchester. Obviously my research is limited by what I can find on Ancestry UK, but I welcome any other information you might be able to give me. Yes Richard Bryne Davis married firstly Iris Evans in 1937 and then subsequently Judith Share in 1962. He died in 2003. One of his sons is my wife's father!

I have found a Harry Davis born December 1920 in Chorlton but cannot find any marriage to an Audrey. Do you know when or where they married? Have you found out anything about your Grandmother from Germany yet? Unfortunately Schmidt is a very common German name. If there's any other information I can give you, please let me know. I am going to see if I can find out anything about your father's WWI service and I'll let you know if I find anything. Kind Regards The Colonel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast