Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Suemc

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    I sort of did the same thing, but after Joshua, Hellene, Florence, Lily & Hermann, I didn't try Harry . It seems the whole fam damily has vanished.

Sue,
    Any marriages that you know about for Florence ? Maybe they are all hiding at her house under her new name.
    ET
    ET - Yes! I do know that Florence married a James Joseph BOX on 14 March 1903 in Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire. He was an artificial limb maker. But that is all the info I have on her. I don't know where she is in 1911 or whether her family might be with her. Why didn't I think of trying that !

Sue

usernick

Well, I've found a George Percy Box married to a Florence Box, living at 67 Claremont Road, Moss Side. They have a daughter, Constance Stewart Box born in 1911 in Manchester? George Percy Box is an Artificial Limb Maker.

(RG number: RG14, Piece: 23917 - RG14PN23917 RG78PN1380B RD464 SD4 ED52 SN122 - Copyright, TNA)

Nobody else living there, unfortunately...

Cheers,

Nick

usernick

Ah-ha!

Unfortunately, they were away during the census...

Looking at the "Index" for Craig Street, under 21 it states:

"21, Davies, Away"

So, maybe they went abroad??

Cheers,

Nick

Suemc

Default Great news!

Wow Nick - thank you so much for that info!! That is definitely 'my' Florence and now with a daughter too! Really exciting! Wish the rest of the family had been with her but the info that they were 'away' at the time of the census now makes sense.

Thanks again for helping me with all this!
    Sue

Suemc

Default Too quick with my reply!

Hmmmm.....after more thought I realized that George Percy Box is in fact the cousin of James Joseph Box. James Joseph BOX married Florence Helene DAVIS and I have a copy of the marriage certificate which confirms that. So it appears that George Percy BOX married a Florence too! How perfectly confusing

Which means that 'my' Florence and husband James Joseph BOX are still missing! I was really excited for a moment until I realized I had mixed up the BOX family! Doesn't help that the cousins both married someone called Florence!

Sue

ET in the USA

Default Just more 'NOTS'

Neither is still at 19 Wilton Street or 15 Spring Street. In 1901, Jases Joseph Box's whole family was at 19 Wilton. In 1901, no one related to Florence was at 15 Spring, so she must have just been there for a short time for the wedding in 1903.

1911 - James Joseph Box's family is still in England

Address; 3 Douglas Grove C on M
    Reg. Dist: chorlton
    Ref: RG14PN23840 RG78PN1379 RD464 SD3 ED12 SN200

Doriss Anne Box -Head- F- Single - Age 38 born 1873 Liverpool Lancs -Occ: Surgical Belt Maker
    Ellen Box - widow -F- Widow- Age 71 b 1840 Dublin
    Philip George Box -son -M - Age 32 b 1879 Manchester Lancs Occ: Warehouseman
    Mary Stuart Box - dau - dau- F- Age 30 b 1881 Manchester Lancs Occ: Typist
    James Stuart Box -Nephew - M -Age 7 b 1904 Dublin Occ: School

Crossed out after Ellen Box - 5 children born & 5 children living.

ET in the USA

Ellen Box [mother of James Joseph] died
    Mar Qtr 1926 Age 86 Manchester S 8d 218

It appears that his sister, Mary S Box died Jun Qtr 1935 Age 54 Manchester S 8d 35.

I guess I'm looking for a reason why they decided to come home for a visit in about 1930.

Suemc

Default And the brick wall starts crumbling ....

ET - when I saw the 1911 census details for James Joseph BOX's family and I saw the nephew aged 7 born Dublin it made me start wondering if perhaps James Joseph BOX and Florence Helena DAVIS might have left England and gone to Dublin, Ireland. It's where Ellen BOX was born. So I started looking for the family in Dublin in 1911 and found this:

1911 Census Ireland James Joseph Box, boarder, aged 35, widower, surgical profession, born England.

Seeing that this BOX was a widower I started looking for a death record for Florence Helena DAVIS and lo and behold .... there it was!

Florence Helena BOX, died Dublin South, death registered July - Sep 1905, aged 22.

I believe that the nephew James Stuart BOX living with his grandmother and aunts/uncles in 1911 is the child of James Joseph BOX and Florence Helena DAVIS. They must have left England shortly after their marriage in 1903, and gone to Dublin, Ireland where their son was born in 1904. Florence died in 1905 and the child was probably sent back to live with family in Manchester.

I haven't found anything to confirm that the child is theirs and will certainly keep trying to find a birth record for him. But it definitely seems right, doesn't it?

Thank you so much ET - I would never have found all this if you had not sent that 1911 census data along!

usernick

Fantastic news with the revelation about the Box family - that's probably why I couldn't find him originally in the UK 1911 Census - I should have looked at the other one!

So, I've tried to work backwards to see whether there's anything else that might throw up a clue?

Apparently:

- Joshua Davis married Helena Schmidt in 1877 at Chorlton.
    - There might be a possible death record for Joshua in the Horncastle District, Lincolnshire in 1922 (aged 68). This might have some extra information about people present at the death (I always hope a member of the family is listed, but that's not always the case)!
    - Hermann Davis sounds as though his full name could actually be Richard Hermann Davis - born in Congleton, Cheshire in 1887

I've got the references if you need them (I don't know if you've got any of the above certificates yet)?

Cheers,

Nick

ET in the USA

Glad I could help. Sometimes just throwing out odd bits of info. makes the penny drop.

ET

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast