Thread: I've forgot...

neko

Default I've forgot...

I used to know but cannot remember...
    when an individual is mentioned as a kinsman on a record (in this case a 1675 Quaker marriage, though much more common in wills) what is their relationship to the main person in the record? is it nephew? I just can't quite recall.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I think it would mean any person related by blood. So could be a father, uncle, nephew, grandfather, cousin, son, etc. I suppose it could also be used for females, if not recorded as a kinswoman.
    ChristineR

neko

it does in general, but I have a vague memory of it being more specific. at least in the wills-usually a nephew or occasionally grandson or cousin. but it's a bit odd, there's a number of relatives who witnessed this marriage, but only one has kinman written after their name.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    it does in general, but I have a vague memory of it being more specific. at least in the wills-usually a nephew or occasionally grandson or cousin. but it's a bit odd, there's a number of relatives who witnessed this marriage, but only one has kinman written after their name.
    Are you sure that the word kinsman is not a surname of the witness?
    ChristineR

neko

almost 100%. his given name eludes my memory at the moment, I think it's James or John, nothing fancy. his last name is Seaman, that of the groom, and they are collateral relatives of mine-something like 1st cousin, 7 generations removed. I've not found the surname Kinsman among Quaker records. though some Quakers are known for taking middle names, this generation did not as far as I can find.