usernick

Default Frederic King - transported to Australia

Hi,

This is something that I recently posted on Rootschat, so apologies if you've seen this before.

Okay, just before Christmas, I finally found out what happened to my Great (x3) Uncle, Frederic (aka Frederick) King after 1843 - it turns out he was convicted of embezzlement in 1848, and transported to Tasmania for 7 years, and he doesn't appear to have returned back to England (at least not under the name "Frederic King")...

Anyway, here are Frederic's details:

Born: 17 February 1812 in Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England (Parents: William - a tailor - and Ruth King - nee Cornell - of Dickleburgh)
    Married: 26 January 1837 in Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England to Jane Dixon.
    Census: 1841, Woodbridge, Suffolk, England - Profession: Tailor, living with his wife, Jane
    Wife's Death: 18th April 1843 in Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England (subsequently buried in Dickleburgh's churchyard) - died of consumption.

And this is what I've discovered thus far with help of some people on Rootschat (together with some research):

HO 27/86 (England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892): [S - Y 1948]:

Name: Frederick King
    Estimated birth year: abt 1812
    Date of Trial: 28 Jun 1848
    Trial Year: 1848
    Location of Trial: Suffolk, England
    Sentence: 7 Years Transportation
    Crime: Embezzlement

HO 11/16 - Convicts Transported (Page Number 284):

Name: Frederic King
    Vessel: Nile
    Convicted Date: 28 Jun 1848
    Voyage Date: 27 Jun 1850
    Colony: Van Dieman's Land
    Piece: HO 11/16
    Place of Conviction: Suffolk, England

(Frederic King, Convicted at Woodbridge Quarter Sessions, Convicted 28 June 1848, Sentenced to Seven Years.)

Ipswich Journal, 1st July 1848:

"Frederick King, 36, convicted of having embezzled several sums of money, the property of his employer, Alfred Freeman, of Sweffling: seven years transportation".

Ipswich Journal, 19th May 1849:

"Removal of convicts: The following transports have been removed to Millbank Prison, by Mr. Johnson and assistants, viz., John Saunders and John Acton Wroth, 10 years each: William Hines, Frederick King, William Humphrey, James Willison, James Balam, James Leverett, and James Pinkney, 7 years each."

CON14/1/41:

Mentioned - same details as CON33/1/97

CON33/1/97 (Convict Number 22752, Page 151):
    https://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...7,306,151,C,37

1852 - 9th March - Hobart: Assaulted constable, fined £20 (?), WW
    1852 - 30th September - Hobart: Larceny under £5. Six months hard labour.
    1852 - 9th November - A ticket of leave was requested
    1852 - 29th November - he was in hospital.
    1853 - 7th March - Hobart: he was resident in the Prison Barracks (can't read detail).
    1854 - 16th February - Hobart: he was sentenced to 3 months hard labour (can't read detail) within the Prison Barracks in Hobart.
    1854 - 17th April - he was "estd. to serve"
    1855 - 28th June - it would appear that he was discharged ("himself"?)

Now, my question is: what are the best sources for finding out what happened to Frederic after 28th June 1855? I've searched through the online Australian newspapers - there are some Frederick Kings, although none seems to stick out. I've also searched through HO 10 (Ticket Of Leave applications) with no joy.

Is the Tasmanian Pioneer Index (1803-1899) my best bet, or the Western Australian Biographical Books, or the Millbank Prison Registers (PCOM 2 in the National Archives), or the Calender/Quarter Session Records at the Suffolk Record Offices?

Or are there any other sources that I should look at that I haven't thought of (i.e. a Ticket Of Leave)?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Nick

Procat

Hi Nick,

The only possibility I could see in the Pioneer Index is:

Place of death: Launceston
    Date: 31 Jan 1885
    Registration Year: 1885, Registration number: 73 RGD Number: 35

usernick

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi Nick,

The only possibility I could see in the Pioneer Index is:

Place of death: Launceston
    Date: 31 Jan 1885
    Registration Year: 1885, Registration number: 73 RGD Number: 35
    Hi Procat,

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Would the death certificate give much more information? I seem to remember that details (such as relationshops, burial ground, address, occupation, etc) weren't included until the 20th Century?

Many thanks,

Nick

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by usernick View Post
    Hi Procat,

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Would the death certificate give much more information? I seem to remember that details (such as relationshops, burial ground, address, occupation, etc) weren't included until the 20th Century?

Many thanks,

Nick
    Hi Nick,

See this site for what is contained on them: jaunay.com/bdm.html

You may also find this thread useful.

usernick

Hi Procat,

Again, many thanks - I've sent off for the Launceston death certificate which probably won't say much, but at least it'll give me something to go on.

If the weather allows, I'm going to take a trip to the National Archives on Saturday to investigate the Millbank Prison Registers to see what they say.

And, on the following Saturday, I'm going to the Society Of Genealogists in London to investigate some Tasmania-related archives. You never know your luck?

Cheers,

Nick

barrie wise

Default Frederic King

Hello Nik,

I went to the archives today and had a quick look for any mention of Frederic that you didn't already have. The Pioneer Index is far from complete with many names missing or incorrect details - the only way to be certain is to trawl through all the church records - a never ending project.
    The Frederick that died in Launceston in 1885 may be yours but he was based mainly in the southern part of the state early in his sentence, but anything is possible. The following may be of help:

Film Z2445 Deaths in Launceston - no.1912, name & surname Frederick King [hospital], when died 31st January 1885, sex male, age 74 years, rank or profession labourer, cause of death serious apoplexy, signature, description & residence of informant Thomas J. Doolan, undertaker, Launceston, when registered 7th February 1885 by F. J. Boothman, Deputy Registrar.

Film Z2286 Burials in the parish of St. Paul, Launceston in the County of Cornwall, Tasmania in the year 1885 - page 95 no.14, name Frederick King, abode General Hospital, when buried 2nd February 1885, age 74 years, quality or profession not stated, by whom the ceremony was performed Aug Barkway.

Film Z2370 Record of Internment in the Episcopal Burial Ground, Launceston - Buried on the 2nd February 1885 Frederick King, adult, Parish of St. Paul, Row E, 28 graves from J, 1 row from fence.

There was no mention of his marital status or where he lived before he was admitted to hospital. A few comments about his convict record:
    I don't know who he was assigned to from 1850 to 1852, but on 9th March 1852 the Tl Hobart is who & where he was assigned, he was fined 20/- and WW is the magistrate.
    30th September six months hard labour [ something etc approved?]
    9th November 1852 Ticket of Leave revoked [to be under service in Hobart?]
    23 November 1853 Ticket of Leave
    29th November 1853 not recommended [for T of L?]
    11th February 1854 assigned to Mather & Sons, Liverpool Street, Hobart [well known drapers and still existed in 1980's]
    16th Februay 1854 Mathers/Hobart absent without leave, three months hard labour, ABI [magistrate], approved.
    17th April 1854 [?to serve?]
    28th June 1855 gained his certificate - this is not a ticket of leave.

It isn't clear when he gained his Ticket of Leave, but all of his offences are probably in the files pertaining to the court or magistrate records, where the Archives should be able to assist you.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
    Barrie.

usernick

Quote Originally Posted by barrie wise View Post
    Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
    Barrie.
    Hi Barrie,

Please don't apologise - that's a lot more information than I'd ever be able to find out about Frederic without catching a flight to Tasmania!

Many many thanks for taking the time to find out the information on Frederic - it certainly is a lot more than I'd managed to find out!

It's strange that he absconded from Mather & Sons, considering he was a tailor by trade - surely working for a drapers would have been better than hard labour?

I'll send an e-mail off to the Archives in the meantime to see if they can assist further, but again, many thanks for the information provided thus far.

Cheers,

Nick

barrie wise

Default Frederic King

Hi Nik,

A bit more information for your puzzle - I went back to the Archives today and had a look at the original Police manuscripts for Ticket of Leave holders and their residences in 1852 - 1854 in Hobart Town, and there was your Frederic: King Fredk, "Nile", Jones, 7 Argyle Street, opposite Gilly, 8/9/1854. Which means he must have been granted his Ticket of Leave some time prior to this date, and translated this is what it says: Jones = Evan Jones an agent had a number of houses at the lower end of Argle Street and was one block from the wharves, and Gilly I believe was another agent W. H. Gill who also lived in Argyle Street.

The reference for this was: Police Department Hobart, c1852 - 1854 POL 354/1/1 Ticket of Leave holders, Hobart.

The only other source I could locate was for 1846 - 1864 for T/L for Launceston, and he wasn't on that, also looked up the valuations for Hobart 1861 which lists owners and occupiers - Evan Jones was still in Argyle Street, but Frederick got no mention anywhere.

I also found a couple of original manuscripts for the Lower Court, LC 219, and LC 216, that may give mention to Frederick, but I will have a look at them next time I am in town. Still no link to the Frederick King in Launceston.

Barrie.

usernick

Hi Barrie,

Once again, many thanks - much appreciated - at least that's answered one question and we now know where he lived in 1854. Considering that a couple of month's ago, I had no idea what happened to him post-1843, this is definitely progress!

Browsing through the Australian Newspaper Archives, I found this (have no idea if it's related to Frederick or not?):

The Hobarton Mercury, Wednesday 6th August 1856, Page 2:

"Transfer of Licenses:

On Monday the Quarterly Meeting of Justice was held in the Supreme Court for hearing applications for the transfer of Licenses there were present:-

The applications which were granted were as follow:-

To Frederick King from Charles Wright, the Royal Oak, Watchorn Street."

Looking forward to anything more - it is all greatly received.

Cheers,

Nick

Nannas

HI,
    My index won't load yet but I will check Tas stuff when it does

I am new to this site so only just going through all the messages...

Nannas