Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Maria Hathawy nee Guy

Thank you so much Christine and Fiona
    It looks like Thomas Edwin had family out in Australia for sometime before he settled there. It is no wonder that things went well for them. I guess then with Thomas William and Florence not marrying they managed well.
    I think I have located the two other children mentioned in Maria's death notice on Free BMD
    Charles Ernest Hathaway born 1892 Bristol. Died 1896 Bristol
    Emma Maria Hathaway born 1894 Bristol. Died 1894 Bristol
    Thomas Edwin Hathaway gives his place of birth as London c 1866 but I am trying to positively identify the family, it is suprising how common the name Hathaway is.
    Thanks once again although you must be sleeping now!
    ELMA

Default Maria Hathaway nee Guy

Hi
    I have just been reading through the threads again. Bliss
    I noticed Thomas Edwin has two baptism dates

Edwin Hathaway Chr 13 January 1867 Bristol, Gloucester, England Father Thomas M. Emma

Henrietta Hathaway b 14 December 1847 Christening: 27 January 1850 St Pauls, Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Clara Hathaway Christening: 13 September 1857 Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Rosina Hathaway Christening: 13 September 1857 Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Thomas Hathaway Christening: 18 OCT 1866 Bristol, Gloucester, England

Is this probably because one is from the IGI

Do you think the 1923 obituary for Thomas is then Thomas Edwins father Thomas. Sorry I am a bit slow but I am getting there.
    ELMA

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Do you think the 1923 obituary for Thomas is then Thomas Edwins father Thomas. Sorry I am a bit slow but I am getting there.
    Not as slow as me. again I didn't make a connection with the info - I only just noticed it was 1923! I am sure I copied it down correctly. Just go check.
    ChristineR

It must be his father, Thomas HATHAWAY was aged 95, when he died in 1923, so born about 1828. It is the one that I mentioned before, the elderly gent died Richmond. His parents are unknown in the death index, reg# 3217. The Gratton street address given is the confirmation of a relationship.
    ChristineR

I'm wading through the images to find details of his death.
    Finally found the Funeral notice.
    The other notice earlier is in the BEREAVEMNET CARDS section.

The Argus, Melbourne
    Friday 26 January 1923
    FUNERALS
    HATHAWAY - Friends of the late Mr THOMAS HATHAWAY are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave 5 Grattan place, Richmond, Tomorrow (Saturday) at 2:30pm.
    JONES BROS, Undertakers, 193 Lonsdale street, Melbourne, and suburbs. 'Phone 361 Cent.

An email to the Necroplis people (who run Melbourne General cemetery) will get you his basic burial details free of charge, also who he is buried with. Contact details on their website - //necropolis.net.au/necropolis/

His death certificate would list his wife and children, as would Maria's. One can get certificates from Victoria easily online - we have downloadable images - cost $A17.50. Details are in the sticky at the top of the Australia board.
    ChristineR

CassieK

Buried at St Kilda Cemetery

Memorial inscription -

Maria HATHAWAY wife of Thomas died 14 Oct 1943 aged 75 years
    Our mother
    also Thomas E, husband of above, died 14 Dec 1952 aged 86 years

There are no HATHAWAY headstones at Melbourne General Cemetery.

Cheers
    Cassie

Florence Augusta LAWSON (nee Hathaway) married John Bagshaw VERNON in Victoria, 1900. I really must concentrate more, as now I do not know why I posted her death in the first place, it was the combination of forenames I suppose. Florence and John were living in Griffiths street, Richmond in 1937. Though Fiona may have found Thomas' family because of the post. I cannot find Thomas and Emma in the 1861 or 1871 census.

If you come across a Thomas Hathaway, who committed suicide in 1912, he and his wife Nelly arrived in Victoria in 1900 with a six year old daughter Olive, who must of died. Probate records in 1912 show that he had only one 11 year old child of a different name. The death index gives his father as Henry, mother Hannah (no maiden name given) I'm saying this from memory. He was aged 55 in the death index, 56 in the newpaper, which said he was a warehouseman, but the probate said he was a jeweller. He had wages due, so he worked for someone.
    ChristineR

Default Maria Hathaway nee Guy

Thanks for that information. I did see the obituary for the Thomas Hathaway who comitted suicide and it said he had an awful temper so I was hoping I wouldnt link him up!
    I have got some more details from the cemeterys. I wish ours were that easy.
    Emma died in 1893 so they were in Australia then. Florence Augusta married the first time in 1889.
    The children were baptised in the UK and were still here in 1867 when Thomas Edwin was baptised. I guess they left for Australia between 1867 and 1889(Possibly)
    I am getting there. Thanks once again
    ELMA

Four Years on.
    I am still working on my Guy /Hathaway Family.
    With help I found Thomas and Maria Hathaway left for Australia in 1908 with their family.
    Thomas and Maria had 5 children born in Bristol, England. Two died in infancy before the family emigrated. The other three children settled in Australia and i have always wanted to get in touch with descendants. Until recently I thought there was no off spring.

Of the children
    Thomas William Hathaway born 8 Oct 1888 in Bristol.
    Florence Catherine Hathaway born 1890 in Bristol
    Rose Augusta Hathaway born 28 Nov 1896 in Bristol. Florence married Cyril Ernest Albert Neuman in Richmond Australia (1926)

I have recently seen on the Internet a tree where Florence and Catherine had a child,now deceased? I got no response to an enquiry but it was a very large family tree.
    Can anyone help or suggest how I can find more information?
    Many thanks ELMA

I forgot to mention the grandchildren mentioned in Maria's Hathaway's obituary
    Bryce, Merrin, Grace and Ernest Neuman. Where would I start to check these out. I have hesitated as I realise some of these may still be living.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123