Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

This newspaper is online - if you put some key words in google it should come up.

The Argus, Melbourne, Friday october 15, 1943

HATHAWAY.-On October 14, at her residence, 5 Grattan place. Richmond, Maria, loved wife of Thomas Edwin, and devoted mother of Tom, Floss, Ernest (deceased), Emily (deceased), Rose (Mrs. Neumann), loved mother-in-law of Cyril, and fond grandmother of Bryce (A.I.F). Merrin, Grace and Ernest. - A patient sufferer at rest.

HATHAWAY.-A tribute of loving memory to Maria Hathaway, who passed away on October 14. (Inserted by Bert and Nancy Parker.)

(AIF = Australian Imperial Force, which was a WW1 term for the Australian Army)
    ChristineR

and the last one from me tonight

They arrived on the ship Omrah in July 1908.
    The image does not say much as they paid their own way, just lists them as Mr T W HATHAWAY, 46, and Mrs and Misses HATHAWAY, aged 45, 19, 16. Just the four of them mentioned on that ship, and T.W, not T.E.
    ChristineR

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Maria Hathaway nee Guy

Christine
    I cant thank you enough. this information is fantastic and I am very slowly working through it. When you have spent years waiting, it needs slowly devouring to enjoy it and in this case, work it out too.

You have such wonderful records.
    It seems Maria had more than the three children I knew about and how did they travel so much when they came from humble beginings? Maria was in the workhouse!

I am going to read all your posts again now and later too.
    Thanks again ELMA

Australia was the land of oppurtunity, and it seems that Maria has worked hard at her tailoring right from the start. I wonder if she advertised in the newspaper. It was not often that married women worked at an occupation apart from home duties in those days.

Later today, when I have some time, I will look for the marriages of the children. Do you think that they came to other family? The name Hathaway is fairly rare in Victoria, and there was a very elderly Thomas who died in Richmond in the early 1920s.
    ChristineR

Knowledgeable and helpful

Smile Maria Hathaway nee Guy

Hi Christine
    This continues to fascinate me.
    I do not know much about the Hathaways. I just know Thomas Edwin married into the family in 1888 in Bristol, England where my family were living. I do know Thomas father was also Thomas!
    Looking then at this death you mentioned (I have not quite worked out how to use quotes but I will get there).

'mothers name is incorrect.
    Florence Augusta VERNON,
    father Thos HATHAWAY, mother Emma LAKE
    died aged 75, in 1942, reg Royal Park. reg no: 8945'

The age does not work out to be a child of Thomas Edwin but I wonder if it could be a sister of Thomas Edwin.
    It looks like I have some work to do. I think Maria's other children were possibly born here. So off I go.
    I look forward to working this out.
    Thanks once again ELMA

Fiona67

Default The IGI

Hi
    Just found Thomas Edwin

Thomas Edwin Hathaway Chr 13 January 1867 Bristol, Gloucester, England Father Thomas M. Emma

Will see if I can find any siblings

Fiona

Fiona67

Default Hathaway siblings

Hi
    Siblings are
    Henrietta Hathaway b 14 December 1847 Christening: 27 January 1850 St Pauls, Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Clara Hathaway Christening: 13 September 1857 Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Rosina Hathaway Christening: 13 September 1857 Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Thomas Hathaway Christening: 18 OCT 1866 Bristol, Gloucester, England

Do they fit in with Christine's findings at all?

Regards
    Fiona

Fiona67

Default AIF

Looks like son Thomas William did fight in WW1 ...... his records can be found at National Archives or the AIF education site
    In 1915 the family were living at 5 Grattan Place Richmond

Fiona

Well spotted Fiona.

I didn't pick up on of the age of Florence Augusta before, but being born about 1867 could be the lass that show up registered in Islington district, England 1867 on FreeBMD. She was not born in Victoria Australia. There is a probable (first) marriage for her to a Mr Charles Lawson in Victoria, 1889, the index shows the bride as Flor Hathaway, born London. So that family has arrived a lot earlier.

Her mother, Emma Hathaway, died in Victoria, 1893, aged 64
    parents recorded as Thos LAKE, and Mary Unknown.
    reg #6636

another notice for your line.

The Argus, Melbourne
    Saturday 3 February 1923
    HATHAWAY - The relatives of the late Mr THOS HATHAWAY desire to THANK their many friends for their kind expressions of sympathy by visits, letters, and floral tributes during their sad bereavemnt, especially thanking the Rev David Morgan, Nurse Bray, Mrs McGregor, and Mrs Kerr. Will all please accept this as a personal acknowledgment of the deepest gratitude. 5 Grattan place, Richmond.

[QUOTE] (I have not quite worked out how to use quotes but I will get there). [QUOTE]
    umm ... up on the top of composing pane, 4th from the right, bottom row of icons, therethere is a yellow icon - when you hover over it [Wrap [QUOTE] marks around selected text]
    I think it is the same for all (both) the text editors we have. Just select you text and then press that.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 05-01-2010 at 7:09 AM. Reason: add more
    ChristineR

Fiona67

Smile

Good thinking Christine........I forgot about Freebdm......that's usually my first port of call

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast