Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wshipton

Default Callen of Tenby and St Issells

Hello, this is my very first post and I hope someone can help me find some of my family.

I have been researching my mothers side of our family and have gone back to John Callen (born in Tenby : 1820 - buried 25.4.1875) married to Sarah Anne Cleasby (born 1831). They lived in Sheerness. John was a Rigger and obviously moved from Tenby to Sheerness to work.

I have found a Stephen Callen (born 1780, died 29.8.1858) who was a coastguard in Sheerness. He was married to Susan ? (born 1791, died 06.04.1862). They lived at the Garrison in Sheerness. There are mentions of 2 children that I know of - William and Mary Jane (16yrs & 13yrs respectively in the 1851Census).

I think that Stephen and Susan were the parents of John but can't find the link.

There is mention of a possible Brother to John - George Callen (born: 1819 - died: 19.4.1875)

I also have a further person who might be a brother to Stephen - John Callen (born 1783, christened in St Issells Parish Church on 3.8.1783, died 23.3.1845 Waun Goch, Beafort, Brecon, buried St Cadwg, Llangattok Brecon (I don't know if I have this right!)
    He married Priscilla Absalom on 7.7.1807 at St Issels.

I'd be grateful of any help.

Thank you

Best regards and Happy New Year

WShipton

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by wshipton View Post
    I have been researching my mothers side of our family and have gone back to John Callen (born in Tenby : 1820 - buried 25.4.1875) married to Sarah Anne Cleasby (born 1831).

I have found a Stephen Callen (born 1780, died 29.8.1858) who was a coastguard in Sheerness. He was married to Susan ? (born 1791, died 06.04.1862). WShipton
    Welcome to world of B-G, your posting is listed under a single thread and not as a general new thread, so others will only see it if they view this thread.

I note the following ; Callen, Absalom are common surnames in Pembs, so inevertable you will come across mentions to the surname. John Callen was baptized at Tenby St Mary in 1820 and the IGI shows us 19 April 1820 John son of Stephen & Susannah Callen baptized at Tenby, in this case I can confirm the IGI is probably correct. I note John’s mrge in 1848 in the Sheppey registration distrtict (Sheppey now there’s a blast from my childhood).
    The Callen surname is known very much around Amroth, St Issells, Tenby, I suspect that your Tenby Callen’s with have come from the St Issells area at some point.

Stephen Callen a sailor married Susannah Webb a widow at Tenby 22 Oct 1818.

Walter William Webb married Susanna Howell at Tenby in 1812

I have not managed to find a death of a Walter W. Webb anywhere to fit the above, but I do note the burial of a William Webb at Jefferston in 1816
    IGI shows a William Callen baptized 1836 to William and Sarah Callen, however I can not confirm this from other usual sources so suspect it is in error until the P.R.’s are checked. I can find no reference to William or Jane around St Issells ~ Tenby at the time of your interest.

Records show that John Callen mrd “Silla” Absalom at St Issells in 1807, also Charles Callen mrd Elizabeth Ormond at Crunwear in 1792.

For future reference Roger Callen mrd Bridget Edwards at Tenby in 1756.

Our own family connection to the family is via Joseph Callen who mrd Anne Gwyther 25 Apr 1818 at St Issells.

From my index of every name in every will proven at the ECC of St David’s for the parish of St Issells 1600 to 1858, I note reference to the surname Absalom in the following wills in some context ;
    David Merryman of St Issells ref 1797/011
    Charles Absalom of Stepaside St Issells ref 1804/001
    Charles Absalom of Redwalls St Issells ref 1841/004
    John Davies a Carpenter of St Issells ref 1842/126
    I also note the following references in the same index to the surname Callen
    James Callen a Collier of St Issells Common St Issells 1817/004
    Elizabeth Callen a Widow of St Issells Common St Issells ref 1834/019
    Charles Absalom of Redwalls St Issells ref 1841/004 (it is in this will also that Silla Callen is noted as ‘sister’)
    I also note the following references in the same index to the surname Webb(e)
    John Webbe of St Issells ref 1612/029
    Thomas Foy of St Issells ref 1660/053
    Rees Roach Gentleman of St Issells ref 1757/044
    James Webb Blacksmith of St Issells ref 1793/030
    I have part completed the wills of Amroth and note that William Callen left a will in this parish ref 1793/002
    All the above wills can be viewed freely on the NLoW Website, if you have any problems contact me and I will forward you my copy of the will extract, which contains all the information you require to what if any relationship there is with your own research abodes, and bequests etc.
    I trust the above is of some assistance in your research. I am off this week to do some Pembrokeshire Military History in Northern France, but if I can assist you further please let me know and will do what I can on my return.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

wshipton

Default Thank you

Thank you for your very full reply. My goodness you've given me plenty to think about. I am very new to this so this will keep me busy for ages.

I hope you have a successful trip. Thank you again.

Best regards
    Wendy
    wshipton

wshipton

Default Cousin?

Hello

Further to your reply to email in December I wondered if you might be a distant cousin. I haven't had the opportunity to link your family connection of Joseph Callen and Anne Gwyther to my 4x great grandfather Stephen Callen and Susanna Webb (nee Howell), but I wondered if Stephen and Joseph were brothers?

I'm sure you must know?

Regards
    Wendy
    wshipton

Orielbenfro

Default Callens, Gwyther & Oriel

I haven't had the opportunity to link your family connection of Joseph Callen and Anne Gwyther to my 4x great grandfather Stephen Callen
    Wendy
    My own connection is somewhat distant. Hester Oriel married John Gwyther at St Issells in 1792. They had at least 7 children(1793 – 1810) that I know of, these included Ann Gwyther baptized 1795. Ann married Joseph Callen 1818. Joseph & Ann Callen nee’ Gwyther had at least 8 children(1819 to 1840) that I know of although none name Stephen.
    The Callen family which relate into my ‘ORIEL’ single surname research project lived at Clover Park St Issells in 1841.
    Hester Oriel was the daughter of William Oriel. It is quite lightly although by no means proven that this William is the William of Llandowwor, forrester to Lord Milford and related to the Oriels of Garness, Crunwere, a location the family would reside at from circa 1725 to 1973. Families of Amroth, Begelly, Crunwere & St Issells can be noted to become very interrelated over the years.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

wshipton

Default Cousin

Hi, So it is still possible for Stephen and Joseph Callen to be brothers, the dates certainly point towards it.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
    Wendy
    wshipton

Orielbenfro

Stephen and Joseph Callen to be brothers, the dates certainly point towards it.
    Wendy
    I will check out St Issells baptism register on my next visit to the Rec Off.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

wshipton

Default thank you

That's really good of you, thank you. Unfortunately I live too far away to visit!

Wendy
    wshipton

Orielbenfro

Default Callens of St Issells

That's really good of you, thank you. Unfortunately I live too far away to visit!
    Wendy
    Was up at the Record Office to day.
    I searched St Issells for Stephen or Joseph 1775 to 1805 or for any mention of the surname Callen in the baptism registers with no result. I search Tenby 1790 to 1805 for Stephen Callen again with no result. This did surprise me so will need to give this some more thought.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

diana2

I have also been researching my father's family he was Herbert Henry Callen son of Charles Albert Frederick Callen and Margaret Alice Tyler and he was the son of John Stephen Callen and Eliza Emily Byng he was the son of John Stephen Callen and Sarah Ann Cleasby and he was the son of Stephen Callen and Susannah (Howell) Webb.From what I have found out so far Stephen & Susannah had at least 5 children possibly more, those being John Stephen 19/04/1820 Stephen 01/02/1826 Thomas ??1834 William Howell Callen 1835 and possibly Henry James Callen 03/01/1838 it is very hard to find any records of births deaths & marriages as I am in Australia. I order copies of the certificate that I do find to collect the proof.I would love to hear if you have any other information.
    Diana2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast