Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigamist?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hils Hoppo

Default Bigamist?

My Great Aunt Sophia Walls married Ludolf Withowski in Hastings in 1867 but he is on the 1851 census living in Hertford married to Amelia Small. In 1869 he pops up in Eastbourne marrying Annie Woodhall! I'm sure this is one and the same person as the name is so unusual and the dates of birth match. I can't find death certificates for either Amelia or Sophia that suggest he was twice widowed. Is it possible he divorced his first two wives or do we have a bigamist in the family?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here's one death registration:

Name: Sophia Witkowski
    Est birth year: abt 1830
    Year: 1868
    Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Eastbourne
    County: Sussex, East Sussex
    Volume: 2b
    Page: 37

djamb

Possibly another -not sure though

Name: Amelia Witkowski
    Year of Registration: 1855
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Hertford
    County: Hertfordshire
    Volume: 3a

Jules

In 1891 Lewdolf Witkowski b. 1830 London, living alone but listed as married, occupation: living on own means, in Wantage, Berks.

Jules

In 1881 Lewdolf Witteowski b. 1828 London, still living with Jane and 5 children now in Halstead, Essex.

Jules

I think he married Jane in 1869 and not Annie Woodall. The marriage record only lists 3 people instead of 4, the missing name must be Jane.

Edmund Caton
    Ludolf Withowski
    Annie Woodall

There is an Edmund Caten married to an Annie with a 6 month old daughter in the 1871.

Jules

Hi, just to make things worse, there is a Ludolf Witkowski b. 1829 London (upholsterer) on the 1871 in Eastbourne married to a Jane, with 2 children aged 17, and 9 months,

Wow he gets about.

Jules

gwendolen

Default Bigamist

Quote Originally Posted by Hils Hoppo View Post
    My Great Aunt Sophia Walls married Ludolf Withowski in Hastings in 1867 but he is on the 1851 census living in Hertford married to Amelia Small. In 1869 he pops up in Eastbourne marrying Annie Woodhall! I'm sure this is one and the same person as the name is so unusual and the dates of birth match. I can't find death certificates for either Amelia or Sophia that suggest he was twice widowed. Is it possible he divorced his first two wives or do we have a bigamist in the family?
    Ludolph was my gggrandfather he died in 1897. Amelia his first wife died of consumption in 1855.

Marry Anne - his mother died in 1872 while working as a nurse assistant.

So he wasn't a bigamist or a divorcee. Hope this helps

Hils Hoppo

Red face

Hi Gwendolen

Apologies for jumping to the inital conclusion that your gggrandfather was a bigamist!!

The mystery has all been solved now - I have the certificate for Sophia's death and it appears that she died from 'Placenta Previa' (which probably indicates that she died in childbirth) just a year after she married. I think the child must have been stillborn as I can find neither a birth or death cert for it (stillbirths weren't required to be registered then) He married again just a year after Sophia died - which marriage are you descended from?

gwendolen

Default Bigamist

Quote Originally Posted by Hils Hoppo View Post
    Hi Gwendolen

Apologies for jumping to the inital conclusion that your gggrandfather was a bigamist!!

The mystery has all been solved now - I have the certificate for Sophia's death and it appears that she died from 'Placenta Previa' (which probably indicates that she died in childbirth) just a year after she married. I think the child must have been stillborn as I can find neither a birth or death cert for it (stillbirths weren't required to be registered then) He married again just a year after Sophia died - which marriage are you descended from?
    I am a descendent of the marriage Ludolph and Amemia. I am fasinated and proud of the Witkowski family, I have been investigating into the name for about 25 years now and I really feel I know them all personally - crazy I know!!

Happy searching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast