Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigamist?

Hils Hoppo

Default Bigamist?

My Great Aunt Sophia Walls married Ludolf Withowski in Hastings in 1867 but he is on the 1851 census living in Hertford married to Amelia Small. In 1869 he pops up in Eastbourne marrying Annie Woodhall! I'm sure this is one and the same person as the name is so unusual and the dates of birth match. I can't find death certificates for either Amelia or Sophia that suggest he was twice widowed. Is it possible he divorced his first two wives or do we have a bigamist in the family?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here's one death registration:

Name: Sophia Witkowski
    Est birth year: abt 1830
    Year: 1868
    Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Eastbourne
    County: Sussex, East Sussex
    Volume: 2b
    Page: 37

Jules

Hi, just to make things worse, there is a Ludolf Witkowski b. 1829 London (upholsterer) on the 1871 in Eastbourne married to a Jane, with 2 children aged 17, and 9 months,

Wow he gets about.

Jules

djamb

Possibly another -not sure though

Name: Amelia Witkowski
    Year of Registration: 1855
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Hertford
    County: Hertfordshire
    Volume: 3a

Jules

In 1891 Lewdolf Witkowski b. 1830 London, living alone but listed as married, occupation: living on own means, in Wantage, Berks.

Jules

In 1881 Lewdolf Witteowski b. 1828 London, still living with Jane and 5 children now in Halstead, Essex.

Jules

I think he married Jane in 1869 and not Annie Woodall. The marriage record only lists 3 people instead of 4, the missing name must be Jane.

Edmund Caton
    Ludolf Withowski
    Annie Woodall

There is an Edmund Caten married to an Annie with a 6 month old daughter in the 1871.

djamb

There is a marriage of a

Jane CARVER

1869 Q4
    Eastbourne vol 2b pg 125

Which matches the same marriage details of the other three.

JAP1

So all is straightforward; no divorces, not a bigamist - just a chap who was twice widowed.

I haven't yet found him and his son Ludolf jnr in the 1861 census; his presumed daughter Amelia Ann is at boarding school.

In 1841 Ludolph (transcribed by Ancestry as Luddph WISKOWSKI), age 15, born F, is in the household of a School Master in Hertfordshire - HO107/ Piece 444/ Book 14/ Hertingfordbury Hertfordshire/ ED 8/ Folio 10/ Page 14 (Crown Copyright, held at TNA)

From the IGI:
    * WITKOWSKI, Ludolf, b 12 Jul bap 29 Jul 1827, St James Westminster London, parents Valentin WITKOWSKI & Mary
    * WITKOWSKI, Valentin Joseph, bap 21 Aug 1828, St James Westminster London, parents Valentin WITKOWSKI & Mary Ann
    * WITKOWSKI, Lewdolf, b 26 Oct 1828, bap 4 Jan 1829, St James Westminster London, parents Valentin WITKOWSKI & Mary Ann

Burials from the London Parish Registers:
    St Luke Chelsea, Middlesex
    * Ludolph WITKOWSKI (3 entries), Sloane Street, age 3 weeks, 8 Aug 1827, Convulsions
    * Valentin WITKOWSKI (2 entries), Sloane Street, age 44, 2 Apr 1828, Bursting of Blood Vessell
    Parish of Ealing, Middlesex
    * Valentin Joseph WITKOWSKI, Ealing, age 10, 24 Sep 1835

JAP

Hils Hoppo

Thanks everyone for all that info - I'm going to need a while to take it all in! Obviously you've all gained all this from websites other than the one I'm using - which incidentally I'm not re-newing my subscription to this year! Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast