ET in the USA

Question Have the Images, but what do they mean?

I received Digital Images from Nat. Archives, but I'm unclear about the outcome.

1. Petition for Judicial Separation filed by the Petitioner [wife] on Feb 5, 1895. [Question - was she asking for a divorce ? If she just wanted a legal separation, why was that ?]

2. Various affidavits were filed from Petitioner & Respondent through May 1895.

3. May 23, Petitioner filed Petition for Alimony & it looks to me like there was an Order on June 18, 1895 titled [Alimony Pending Suit] ordering the Respondent to pay the Petitioner GBP 7 per month starting 20th day of June 1895.

4. On June 21, 1895 there was an official document called [Particulars] which gives the Petitioner 10 days to "furnish further and better particulars of the times and places mentioned in paragraphs 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8"...

5. These appear to have been filed. Then comes the second confusing part

a. July 19th - Solicitor for Petitioner filed further particulars.

b. July 22nd - Solicitor for Petitioner "set down cause & filed Notice & Certificate".

c. Aug 9th - "Order with consent that this petition be dismissed"
    What is the legal meaning of 5 B & C ?

On the census entries for 1901 & 1911, the Petitioner shows herself by her married name & her condition is "married". Same for the Respondent in 1901, although he is living with a "housekeeper". Respondent dies in 1911 & his "housekeeper", now calling herself Mrs. [Respondent] and their 2 sons are on the 1911 census. In his will, the Respondent refers to Mrs. [Respondent] by her previously married surname. [although I can find no evidence that she actually married husband number 1 either].

Thanks
    Elaine

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA
    I received Digital Images from Nat. Archives, but I'm unclear about the outcome.

1. Petition for Judicial Separation filed by the Petitioner [wife] on Feb 5, 1895. [Question - was she asking for a divorce ? If she just wanted a legal separation, why was that ?]
    TNA's resarch guide on Divorce may answer your question - this link should take you straight to Judicial Separation.

Geoffers

1. Petition for Judicial Separation filed by the Petitioner [wife] on Feb 5, 1895.

2. Various affidavits were filed from Petitioner & Respondent through May 1895.

5. These appear to have been filed. Then comes the second confusing part

b. July 22nd - Solicitor for Petitioner "set down cause & filed Notice & Certificate".

c. Aug 9th - "Order with consent that this petition be dismissed"
    What is the legal meaning of 5 B & C ?
    B reads as though it is just part of the Legal Process
    C appears to indicate that the petitioner has withdrawn the proceedings, reading between the lines, there may have been some agreement - written or understood (probably the former) - between husband and wife.

On the census entries for 1901 & 1911, the Petitioner shows herself by her married name & her condition is "married".
    Possibly confrming the interpretation of C?

Same for the Respondent in 1901, although he is living with a "housekeeper". Respondent dies in 1911 & his "housekeeper", now calling herself Mrs. [Respondent] and their 2 sons are on the 1911 census. In his will, the Respondent refers to Mrs. [Respondent] by her previously married surname. [although I can find no evidence that she actually married husband number 1 either].
    Without wanting to pry - may I ask if the his actual wife (petitioner) received any bequest in the will - or if his legitimate children (if they had any) received anything? If the answer is 'no' it may be the case that some settlement was made on his wife which caused her to withdraw her action.

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Without wanting to pry - may I ask if the his actual wife (petitioner) received any bequest in the will - or if his legitimate children (if they had any) received anything? If the answer is 'no' it may be the case that some settlement was made on his wife which caused her to withdraw her action.

No issue with wife who sued him. No mention of her in will dated Feb 1909. He died in Mar 1911 just before census & entire gross estate of GBP 171 left to mother of his 2 illegitimate children [no mention of them either]. Beneficiary is named using her ' Married name before him' - however, as I said I can't find a marriage. She is called, in the will, both a widow & a spinster ?? using the same name - the one that matches her first child born from her first marriage / or without one

Actual wife died 1922, mother of his children died 1952. One of the sons is still living - as far as I know.
    ET

Geoffers

No issue with wife who sued him. No mention of her in will dated Feb 1909. He died in Mar 1911 just before census & entire gross estate of GBP 171 left to mother of his 2 illegitimate children
    I think this tends to support the idea of a settlement on the legal wife and the action being withdrawn (there may be no surviving record of this). Did the information in the link regarding legal separation make sense?

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Did the information in the link regarding legal separation make sense?
    Not yet. I left shortly after posting for a New Years Eve party & will look at site when eyes regain ability to focus. I'm sure it will be good though, since it came from you. Thanks.
    Elaine