Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divorced?

Colin Rowledge

Default Divorced?

I have a similar problem to yours, Brian, but this happened in the 20th century. My great-aunt married in the US in 1920. For the chap she married, I have his birth, marriage and death certificates along with the birth certificates of 2 children in England.

In 1906 he married and he and his spouse had 2 children. The 1911 census records all 4 and living together. In 1912 - confirmed by outgoing passenger list, he left for the US. In Jnuary 1914 he returned to England. There were now 3 children [one aged 1 year and confirmed by his wife as being fathered by another man]. In November 1914 he returned to the US. Both facts confirmed by passenger lists.

Questions:
    1] Could he have obtained adivorce in 10 months?
    2] Could he just ignore the relationship and was a bigamist when married in 1920?
    3] What happened to his wife after 1914?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    My great-aunt married in the US in 1920. For the chap she married, I have his birth, marriage and death certificates along with the birth certificates of 2 children in England.

In 1906 he married and he and his spouse had 2 children. The 1911 census records all 4 and living together. In 1912 - confirmed by outgoing passenger list, he left for the US. In January 1914 he returned to England. There were now 3 children [one aged 1 year and confirmed by his wife as being fathered by another man]. In November 1914 he returned to the US. Both facts confirmed by passenger lists.

Questions:
    1] Could he have obtained adivorce in 10 months?
    2] Could he just ignore the relationship and was a bigamist when married in 1920?
    3] What happened to his wife after 1914?

Colin
    Have reviewed TNA but cannot find a record of a divorce. My gut feeling is that no divorce ever took place and he was a bigamist. She retained her married name and I've found possibly 3 more children, but do not want to spend the 21 pounds needed to obtain birth certificates.

Any suggestions, please and thank you

Colin

Mutley

Colin, I have split your two posts from Brian's thread and given your question a thread of it's own.

It is very confusing to include your brick wall in the middle of another query.

Good Luck

raineshoe

I had similar with a Henry Cootes and Sarah Ann Simpson. I found Henry remarried to a Fanny in 1890 and no sign of the first wife and assumed she had died. I hunted high and low for her death, but I did find a divorce in the National Archives records by shear fluke of a chance for 1888. Never expected to find one owing to the nature of their status ie of labourer type stock.

It occurred to me though that some people may have divorced but the papers never submitted to any archive and therefore lost over time. I believe it is reliant on the solicitors who hold the documents submitting them to archives to keep. Therefore, divorce, but no proof left. However, as someone else said cost could be against them.

Having said that our Henry and Fanny claim they are widowers when they marry in 1890, but haven't found any deaths for Fanny's husband or Henry's wife as yet so I am thinking that's unlikely. Therefore, also goes to show you can't necessarily go with what any marriage certificates state either.

raineshoe

Oh dear, post has been split and I can't find what I was answering now

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by raineshoe
    It occurred to me though that some people may have divorced but the papers never submitted to any archive and therefore lost over time. I believe it is reliant on the solicitors who hold the documents submitting them to archives to keep.
    Divorce is/was granted by Courts of Law and as such finding a record is not dependent on the whim of a solicitor.

Some records have been destroyed over time - see this TNA research guide on divorce from 1858 - for information on divorce before (including wife sale) then see this link

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by raineshoe View Post
    Oh dear, post has been split and I can't find what I was answering now
    Sorry raineshoe, you were replying as the posts were moving around the board.

This is Brian's thread, if you want to copy your reply to him, it does apply to both posters.

Colin Rowledge

Default Divorce

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Colin, I have split your two posts from Brian's thread and given your question a thread of it's own.

It is very confusing to include your brick wall in the middle of another query.

Good Luck
    Thanks, Mutley.

Wasn't sure how to post this so I figured some bright 'mod' would soon sort me out

Cheers - from a beautiful sunny day in Southern Ontario
    Colin

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Have reviewed TNA but cannot find a record of a divorce.
    Have you looked at newspapers such as The London Gazette or The Times? Or local newpapers?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Have you looked at newspapers such as The London Gazette or The Times? Or local newpapers?

Hi Wirral

No I had not even thought of those sources. Is the London Gazette or The Times on line and do you know how to search their archives if so?

Thanks
    Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast