Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thomasin

Jellylegs - that is BRILLIANT! Thank you so much. I can't think why I didn't try that site before. I have looked now, and see that the Baxters were married ten years before at Waterbeach, and Mary Baxter was a Coulson. The name seems to be big in Cambridgeshire.

I did look for John's baptism, but the only one seemed to be a bit too young, b. Madingley, but I've now found his marriage anyway, at Madingley, and it's definitely not him.

It's rather exciting to branch out into another part of the country. Makes a change from Lambeth and Southwark! Strangely, I do feel at home in Cambridgeshire, particularly in the Fens, just as I do in the north, where another branch of the family came from.

So it's back another generation - thanks again!

Thomasin

Thomasin

I've just found John Todd, a bankrupt butcher in Cottenham in 1822. Wonder if he's mine? It could be the reason why they upped sticks and moved to London.

Thomasin

Thomasin

I thought you might like to see a photograph of the mythical Elizabeth Todd, (whose birth certificate I have still not been able to locate), with her husband Thomas William Jones.

I stayed for a few days with my very dear 89 year old aunt, and she allowed me to rummage through her albums - I had never seen some of the pictures before.

Here is another, taken in the 1930s, I think (she died in 1937).

Thomasin

It's been two years since my last post on this subject. Two years and a collection of wrong certificates. However .........

Jellylegs in post #5 suggested that Elizabeth Todd was really Elizabeth Barclay, and this was also urged strenuously in recent emails by Aliday.

Having reached the point where I must have a complete set of Elizabeth Todd birth certificates (and even earned a refund from the GRO), I relented and sent for the certificate for Elizabeth Barclay, 1858. What a story it opened up. Looking back, it's all so obvious, and I can't believe why I took such a lot of convincing.

The baby was born in the workhouse at Mile End New Town on 4th September 1858. Mother: Elizabeth Euphemia Barclay. No father.

Elizabeth's mother married George Todd when the little girl was only just four, and she must always have believed he was her father. She was christened as a Barclay along with the new Todd baby in 1863, and I would love to know why her mother fished out the name Louis for a putative father.

I'm sorry that Elizabeth's sisters are only half-sisters, and therefore all those lovely Cambridgeshire Todds are not 'mine', but on the other hand the true story has brought to light all sorts of interesting characters to research .... and the mystery has been solved. So, all in all,

Mutley

I cannot believe this thread was started so long ago and the challenge was mine and I never got to do anything at all to help.
    I am so sorry Thomasin that I let you down.

However, I am very pleased that you have finally solved the puzzle of Elizabeth.
    Well done to Jellylegs and Aliday and also to you and I hope this thread will show that it does pay to look outside the box.

Thomasin

You didn't let me down, Mutley. I gave this thread the title I did because of all the help you gave me in a preceding thread about the Jones family, for which I was very grateful.

I know have Barclay, Taylor, Dunn and Keith to play with - but I would still like to know where the name Louis came from ....

Diane R

Default A New Year Challenge for you Mutley

Just a thought maybe Louis was the father's name or connected somehow. In my mother's family it happens twice in three generations.
    Glad you have got so far - never helps when names change without any records to follow up.
    Diane R

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Diane R View Post
    Just a thought maybe Louis was the father's name or connected somehow.
    As far as I can tell, there is no Louis remotely connected, but who knows? I think that Elizabeth Euphemia simply fished a name out of the blue in an attempt to give her daughter some respectability.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123