Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CanEng

Default Geesons of Baslow

Thank you Wirral! As a newbie to this whole thing I was getting the feeling that Baslow held an unusual amount of info. Thanks to any unselfish soul who has ever worked on this areas family histories. Don't think it goes unnoticed!! Now when I can find the right location I can begin to look for my Gr Gr Grandfatherr Richard Geeson who I believe may have run "The Alma" Alehouse.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by CanEng View Post
    Now when I can find the right location I can begin to look for my Gr Gr Grandfatherr Richard Geeson who I believe may have run "The Alma" Alehouse.
    According to David Dalrymple-Smith, Richard GEESON didn't just run "The Alma" - he built it in 1854! Have you looked at all the links for Baslow on GENUKI? The GEESONs are mentioned a number of times.

CanEng

Default GEESON and ALMA.

I have a bottle of Waterloo Dark next to me Colin. Thank you Wirral, I see what you mean about the ALMA. I did a quick search of "The battle of Alma" and the Crimean War and the Battle took place in 1854. I'm going to concentrate on figuring out who the cast of GEESON charcters are listed on GENUKI for Baslow. I'll get back to you in a year or two..HA,HA

pottoka

Smile Baslow look ups

If you need anything (or anyone, more probably) looking up from Baslow, I go to Matlock where the Derbyshire County Records are whenever I'm in England (twice or three times a year). My next visit will be Monday 21st December.

And with a sister living in Sheffield, it would be very easy to go and take photographs in Baslow, should you want any. Maybe best in the summer, though, with the sun shining, rather than the winter and grey skies.

CanEng

Default BASLOW LOOKUPS.

Thanks POTTOKA for your kind offer. The name that come to mind in Baslow would be ELIZABETH HAWLEY, who is shown in the 1841 census as "servant", next to my gr gr grandfather RICHARD GEESON. She soon became wife number two(wife number 1 was LYDIA died 1840). My mother's family is through ELIZABETH. As far as pictures are concerned I would love to see the original site of THE ALMA beer house but I can't determine if the building still stands in original form. Thanks, Rob.

pottoka

Question Questions

Do you have Richard and Elizabeth's marriage certificate? If not, the reference is: Richard Geeson / Elizabeth Hawley, Apr/May/June, 1846, Bakewell, vol 19, page 335.

What is Elizabeth's birth place and approximate date?

CanEng

Default ELIZABETH HAWLEY/BASLOW.

Thanks Pottoka, I don't have their marriage certificate. I'll keep your reference info. ELIZABETH is shown as a servant to the GEESON household in the Genuki/Baslow/1841 Census/Derbyshire, page 11. Birthdate listed as 1820 and age listed as 20. The math depends on the month I suppose. She shows up on page 8 under Inns and Public Houses 1829-1901. She's widowed by this point 1861 & 71 Census(, as RICHARD died in 1860) by my records. I'ts a small world as there are listings of JAMES HAWLEY in baslow on the same pages. He is shown as born in Gr Longstone. Hope this is of value. Rob

CanEng

Default Introductions out of control!!

Sorry Mark, carried away by enthusiasm. Yes it would be a good idea to have a moderator move this subject to a new location. Rob

Procat

For those who may be slightly confused this thread was stripped out of one on the Introduce Yourself board here.

pottoka

Question Place of birth?

What birth place does Elizabeth give for herself in 1861 and 1871?

If it is Stainland like in 1851, I don't think I'll be able to find her at Matlock as Stainland appears to be in West Yorkshire. Maybe the boundaries moved (it happened for one of my ancestors who was born in a village in Staffordshire which is now in Derbyshire!) although, looking up Stainland on the map, finds it well and truly in Yorkshire and not near the border.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast