redclover

Default Emigration to the USA.

Taking into account that not all immigrants arrived in the USA via Ellis Island which started up in 1892, what other records for point of entry are available online?

I have come across:

immigrantships.net/v7/arrivalsv7/nycv7.htm

genealogy.about.com/od/ports/p/castle_garden.htm

I gather that Immigrants arrived in the USA via ports of arrival in Canada and also places are far flung as Galveston, Texas.

I am searching for a relative who arrived and settled at Niagara,
    New York State around 1905. As he doesn't appear on the Ellis Island records I wonder if he arrived via Canada, as Niagara is on the border.

In the past I assumed that people emmigrated to America and that was it, but I have now found two relatives who travelled between Poland and America on at least two occasions before settling in New York. Despite not being naturalised, on their second visit the manifest was stamped NON-ALIEN. Presumably they didn't need to go through the formalities on their second visit.

Richard.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 05-12-2009 at 2:57 PM. Reason: removal of direct link to sites with commercial links just precede the titles with https://

Jan1954

Hello Richard,

Have you tried theshipslist.com?

redclover

Default Passenger lists

Thanks JAN I'll look at that.
    Richard.

Shezzy

Hi,

if you go to ukgdl.org.uk and scroll down the county list to British Abroad (right at the bottom) then click county - there is a list of sites - some of which may help.

You can also just search for category - eg ships list / immigration etc

Some ships lists, US naturalisations, Canadian library and archives also have ship lists, naturalisation, passage books and more.
    Also the sites already mentioned.

Hope this helps
    Shezzy

intaligo

Richard,

I can't tell you specifically where to search as far as links and websites go, but I can tell you that in 1904 both of my grandfathers left Liverpool and arrived in Canadian ports, Montreal and Halifax respectively, before winding up in the U.S. So yes, people did go to various parts of Canada first before they crossed the border(s) into America.

Ann

BeeJay

The Nanaimo Family History Centre has this index of persons arriving in Quebec from 7 Oct 1905 to 13 Oct 1910:

members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/#mozTocId46239

Also, we can do lookups in the Canadian passenger lists for you, Richard, if you'd like.

Last edited by MarkJ; 06-12-2009 at 1:32 AM. Reason: Link edited - please see AUP. Add https:// to front of link to view.

redclover

Default Emmigration to USA

Thank you all for the suggestions. From a situation where I thought I had come to an impasse, I now have a variety of possible sources to check.

Richard.

sueann

Default emigration to the USA

Hello,
    Another source for emigration to US is castlegarden.org (put www. in front). In NYC Before it became Ellis Island in 1892 it was called Castle garden.
    sue

redclover

Thanks Sueann,

I follow up all these leads.

Richard.