fbax

Default Original records

I just found FreeREG site which suggests that I check original record whenever I find something interesting.

I found the following interesting item; but I have no idea which original record this data was transcribed from?

Moderator's Note.
    Your post has been edited.
    Please read the
    Acceptable User Policy (AUP)

[removal of copyrighted data - not allowed to copy and paste directly from other websites. ]
    Last edited by ChristineR; 05-12-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: remove copyrighted data

Kirk Dawson

[QUOTE=fbax;350804]I just found FreeREG site which suggests that I check original record whenever I find something interesting.

I found the following interesting item; but I have no idea which original record this data was transcribed from?

[removal of copyrighted data - not allowed to copy and paste directly from other websites]

The best solution is to ask the County Coordinator for Devon.
    Kirk

Victoria

Since this is record of a baptism from 1773 it most likely comes from the parish registers of the parish church which was St. Peter. I think there was also a Congregational chapel in Barnstaple at that date, so it might be from their register. Originals of all registers are held at the Devon Record Office in Exeter.

Victoria

fbax

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Dawson View Post
    The best solution is to ask the County Coordinator for Devon.
    Kirk
    Are you seriously telling me that FreeREG does not record the source of the data in its database? Isn't that the *first* thing family researchers are taught to do? The FAQ mentions Cinderford has more than 8 churches. Are you telling us that FreeREG will not even identify at which church an event took place? If someone makes a date typo during data entry into FreeREG; I can imagine the original record will never be found because I'd be looking in the wrong documents; the error could never be corrected via verification; because nobody knows where the entry in database comes from.

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by fbax View Post
    Are you seriously telling me that FreeREG does not record the source of the data in its database? Isn't that the *first* thing family researchers are taught to do? The FAQ mentions Cinderford has more than 8 churches. Are you telling us that FreeREG will not even identify at which church an event took place? If someone makes a date typo during data entry into FreeREG; I can imagine the original record will never be found because I'd be looking in the wrong documents; the error could never be corrected via verification; because nobody knows where the entry in database comes from.
    Of course FreeREG tries to record all of the available information. But as you are aware all transcribers can make mistakes and that is why there are coordinators who are there to organize work and look after corrections when issues are found. Hence the suggestion you contact the Devon Coordinator so that he can investigate and correct the record if correction is needed.
    Kirk
    Kirk

fbax

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Dawson View Post
    Of course FreeREG tries to record all of the available information. But as you are aware all transcribers can make mistakes and that is why there are coordinators who are there to organize work and look after corrections when issues are found. Hence the suggestion you contact the Devon Coordinator so that he can investigate and correct the record if correction is needed.
    Kirk
    Ah, now I get it. I just now realise that "Devon Coordinator" is a person connected with FreeREG. I did not understand the full intent of your initial terse response. Thanks.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by fbax View Post
    Ah, now I get it. I just now realise that "Devon Coordinator" is a person connected with FreeREG. I did not understand the full intent of your initial terse response. Thanks.
    Have you checked the 'Counties and parishes' on the FreeREG website? (Link is on the right-hand side of the home page.)
    If so, you will see that according to the list only the PRs for St Peters Barnstaple have been transcribed as yet.
    However, the list may be slightly out of date, which is why Kirk was correct to refer you to the Devon county Coordinator who will be able to confirm if any further church records for Barnstaple have been added to the database.
    I think that if no church is given then it's usually the parish church of a place.
    I have also seen two records for the same event (not Barnstaple), and if you looked in the details at the top of the page one entry just gave the place while the other entry gave the name of the place and then said 'BTs'. Five gold stars for thoroughness on the transcribing for that parish, as PRs and BTs have been known to differ.
    Pam