Thread: Rose of Pewsey

dreward

Default Rose of Pewsey

I hope someone might be able to help here.

I have a Christopher P G Rose born in 1884, father John C Rose, at Pewsey Wilts according to the 1891-1911 census returns. Similarly his elder and younger sister Annie E E and Diana were born 1885 and 1888 resp. at Pewsey.

I have been unable to trace Christopher's birth 1887 on the birth registration sheets between 1885-1889, or under the name of Ross. I have found his elder sister Annie, 2nd qtr 1884 but again nothing for Diana.

Could someone with means other than FMP or FreeBMD check to see if Christopher and Diana can be found or offer any advice

My thanks

Dave

jeeb

Hi Dave,
    It seems odd but neither Christopher or Diana seem to have been registered. I thought maybe the Pewsey registrations were missing for those years but there are plenty of other births registered there in the time scale. I searched through Blandford registration district where the parents married both under Rose & Hill (mother's maiden name) and nothing. The family seemed well educated with a Governess so I can't see why they are missing especially as the older sister is registered but they are not!

Jeremy

SBSFamilyhistory

umm is this Christopher's marriage..

Christopher PG Rose
    Mary C Alexander

I have two marriages for couples with these names.

the first Dec 1912 ref 2b 804 in East Preston.

the second March 1913 ref 5b 941 in Barnstable.

I think it is unlikely that you could have two different Christopher Rose's with the same initials both marrying two different Mary Alexander.

I would contact the GRO to see what they suggest.

The reason I am saying this is that while looking for my husbands family one of his relatives gave her birthplace as Southampton on one census, Gloucester on another but she was acutally born in Ilchester.

I hope this helps

Sue

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    umm is this Christopher's marriage..

Christopher PG Rose
    Mary C Alexander

I have two marriages for couples with these names.

the first Dec 1912 ref 2b 804 in East Preston.

the second March 1913 ref 5b 941 in Barnstable.

I think it is unlikely that you could have two different Christopher Rose's with the same initials both marrying two different Mary Alexander.

I would contact the GRO to see what they suggest.

The reason I am saying this is that while looking for my husbands family one of his relatives gave her birthplace as Southampton on one census, Gloucester on another but she was acutally born in Ilchester.

I hope this helps

Sue
    This is odd Sue, but like you I think it will be the same couple. The most likely reason is that Bride & Groom were living in these seperate places pre marriage and both registered the marriage, maybe the marriage took place in Preston and was followed by a blessing in Devon but this was also registered as marriage too?

The obvious bride seems to be Mary Catherine Alexander who can be found in 1901 at Bishopstrow, Wilts ref- RG13/1941 Folio 43 Page 6. Her father is a Colonel which may account for the family moving around, as indeed the birthplaces suggest.

John Rose, the father of Christopher however though born in Somerset moved with his parents to Pewsey quite early in his life where they farmed a large farm of 240 acres and the family were well settled in Pewsey which makes it very strange to why they did not register the births of Christopher & Diana.

Jeremy

Knowledgeable and helpful

How about this for Christopher:
    Pewsey April/May/Jun 1883 ref 5a 167
    Male Rose

There are a couple of possible female Rose but not in the right district.

Presumably the "governess" was a relative of Eliza as she has the same surname?

Ah just realised that birth is too early

SBSFamilyhistory

Dreward

I am glad that I am not going mad.

Perhaps if Dreward could get copies of both certificates it would solve the mystery.

Sue

dreward

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As this family is way down on the relationship score, I shall trust(?) the census info for now. I have already written to FMP to see if they can check their copies and if a reply is forthcoming I will let you know.

Dave

SBSFamilyhistory

daft question, perhaps, what have you asked FMP to check?