Thread: Born Barbados?

Hugh Thompson

Default Born Barbados?

I don't have much to go on but I'm trying to find out the birthplace of both of my 3xG grandparents, Mary Fitzgerald. Born.1790 and her husband John D Dugan.Born.1788, Regimental Soldier Stationed in Barbados, also if they were married in Barbados.abt 1805.
    Their daughter was Mary Dugan Born.1808.Barbados
    Died.1868 at Port Macquarie. NSW.
    She was married 1827 Cephalonia. Ionian Is. Greece. to William Litchfield (Soldier)
    Born 1802. St Werburgh Derby? UK. who Died 1868. at Port Macquarie. NSW.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Hugh.

Geoffers

Any clues as to John DU(O)G(G/I)AN's regiment?

If you don't yet have that, were the births of any known children registered? - Indexes to Army Chaplains' returns of births 1796-1880 and Regimental Returns of Births 1761-1924 are available on pay-per-view sites.

TNA has numerous files for John DO(U)G(G/I)AN in WO121
    and in the earlier years for John DO(U)G(G/I)AN in WO97

Hugh Thompson

Hi Geoffers, and thanks for your reply, I have no idea which regiment John Dugan was with, I suppose the thing to do would be to find out which regiments were in Barbados at the time of Mary Dugan's birth in1808, and if possibly she and her parents went with that regiment to Greece where she was married, although that might be a long period for her father to be in service with said regiment if you know what I mean.
    The thing is, I can't see another scenario for her to be in Greece at the time of her marriage.
    Her husband was with the 90th Foot (Perthshire) Regiment, but by that time her father may well have retired for all I know.
    Hugh.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson
    The thing is, I can't see another scenario for her to be in Greece at the time of her marriage.
    Is her marriage certificate unhelpful and simply record her dad as 'soldier'; or did the cleric take pity on researchers from future generations and record any more information?

Any related witnesses?

spison

Hi Hugh,

Don't know if it helps at all but I purchased by accident (actually it was quite deliberate but was not the right one) a marriage certificate (Robert Poole & Winifred Blewitt 1864). Both were children of Regimental Sergeants. Winifred's father, Charles, was from the 39th Regiment. Winifred was born in Port Macquarie.

I know Robert's family were Irish and had spent time in NZ (the 58th regiment). As Winifred's mother was Winifred O'Brien perhaps they were both Irish regiments.

I know it's nebulous but I hope it may lead you a little closer.

Jane

Hugh Thompson

Geoffers, I'll have to get in contact with my cousin from that side of the family, as he originally gave me the info relating to the dugans and see what certs he has, (there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousins from all sides of our family working together).
    Hi Jane, going by what Geoffers showed me at the TNA I'd be surprised if John dugan wasn't from an Irish regiment, his son in law William Litchfield wasn't as he was with the 90th Foot and then transferred to the 28th Glostershire before coming to Australia where he was the first to take up the position of chief constable of police at Port Macquarie in 1837.
    Hugh.

Geoffers

Access to army records is obviously not easy for you from Australia. In case you aren't aware, they (records in WO96 and WO97) are being digitally scanned with a view to putting the online on a pay-per-view site by 2011 - the records may help to identify your chap.

Hugh Thompson

Thanks for that Geoffers, it would be handy as it's a long way to the TNA from here.
    Regards,
    Hugh.

Vicki Wilson

Default Born Barbados

Hi Hugh,
    I can't help I'm sorry, but I am a descendant of William Litchfield. My mother was a Litchfield through his son Frederick, who had Ernest Daniel and then my grandfather Lester Verna Litchfield. Thanks for the dates for Mary Fitzgerald and John D Dugan. I have searched Barbados records for the British Army and still have not found what regiment John Dugan was in. I will keep looking and let you know of I find anything. Vicki Wilson Hervey Bay Qld.

Hugh Thompson

Hello Vicki, lovely to hear from you, I'll have to work out what relation (cousin) you are to me,3rd I think! I have some info on the Litchfields if you need it, some photos and newspaper clippings, I haven't made any more progress with the Dugans or Fitzgeralds I'm afraid, if you want to email me I'll send what I have.
    I'm descended through William's son William and his daughter Amy who married William Henry Thompson at Tingha NSW.
    Regards.
    Hugh.