Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BeeJay

Images can be a bit difficult to navigate on Automated Genealogy, but for both 1901 and 1911 the Year of Immigration is there in Column 12.

1906 Census, Winnipeg
    LACEY Charles J., head, age 43, born England, immigrated in 1882
    LACEY Helen, wife, age 30, born Germany, immigrated in 1896
    LACEY Katie, daughter, age 7, born Manitoba

1916 Census
    187 Berlin, St. James, Winnipeg
    LACEY Charles J., head, age 56, born England, immigrated in 1882, Carpet Planner in Carpet Store
    LACEY Helen, wife, age 42, born Germany, immigrated in 1896
    LACEY Katherine E., daughter, age 17, born Manitoba

Charles’ age really varies through the years, but at least his date of immigration is consistent!

bibliojunkie

I hadn't seen the 1916 census details Beejay and couldn't find Charles on the 1906 one. On my screen the AG columns for 1901 and 1911 are numbered 1 to 10. There's no 12 Charles takes after his dad in changing his age!

Ali

BeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    On my screen the AG columns for 1901 and 1911 are numbered 1 to 10. There's no 12 Ali
    It sounds like you're looking at just the index. Once you find someone in the index you can click on 'split view' near the top of the page. This brings up the actual image as a pdf file in the top part of your screen. You can navigate with the toolbar to enlarge the image and look at all the columns.

bibliojunkie

Thumbs up

Another duh. I should have looked more closely at the instructions! I was clicking on the 'links' button at the side of each entry and thought that was all the info available. I've found the 1901 and 1911 details but still can't see Charles on the 1906 census. However, now that I know how to bring up the census forms I am moving west to search in Saskatchewan for rellies on another branch.

Thanks again Beejay

Ali

bibliojunkie

Default The rellies were right!

I'm afraid you will have a long wait for more news: have received an automated reply from the archives stating there is an 8 - 12 week delay in answering email queries.
    Oh no you won't. I've had an email from the Hudson's Bay Company Archives today. After trawling eight sets of records one of the archivists confirmed Charles was employed as a carpet clerk in the Winnipeg sales shop from 1882 to 1884. Copies of his records can be obtained. Top marks to my late relatives (their memories have so far proved 90%+ correct) and to the HBC.

Ali

PS I guess it's too late to get a staff discount at The Bay
    PPS Haven't quite got the hang of the quote thingy!
    Last edited by Procat; 05-12-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Fixed quote parameters

BeeJay

That's good news, Ali, and a fast response too!

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    Oh no you won't. I've had an email from the Hudson's Bay Company Archives today. After trawling eight sets of records one of the archivists confirmed Charles was employed as a carpet clerk in the Winnipeg sales shop from 1882 to 1884. Copies of his records can be obtained. Top marks to my late relatives (their memories have so far proved 90%+ correct) and to the HBC.

Ali

PS I guess it's too late to get a staff discount at The Bay
    PPS Haven't quite got the hang of the quote thingy!
    I am amazed that HBC had employee records in archives that dated that far back! What a stroke of luck for you bibliojunkie

bibliojunkie

The records go way way back to the start of the HBC in 1670 and are now part of the Manitoba Archives. There are some in the TNA as well. A carpet clerk ain't as romantic as a voyageur though!

By chance I recently met someone who had a French surname. Although he was born in South Yorkshire the chap's father was French Canadian and he had traced his family back to voyageur and First Nations ancestors.

Ali

https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/about/hbca.html

BeeJay

My ancestors worked for the HBC starting in 1765 and their archives are an amazing resource. Not only do they have employee records but also daily journals kept by the fur-trade posts, letters, ship records and much more!

bibliojunkie

Wow Beejay, you have a very interesting background.

Ray Mears has recently been on UK TV with a series featuring the early Canadian explorers. Mears visited the HBC archives. The progs also featured First Nations folk making tools etc. He stressed that the successful explorers who survived the rigours of their adventures were the ones who made use of local knowledge and 'technology.' It was good to see one episode devoted to John Rae, the only explorer in the series I had never heard of in my Canadian high school years. I first came across him much later in a song by The Gumboots, a Yellowknife based band. Rae's reputation suffered when he crossed the Establishment by stating the Franklin expedition had resorted to cannibalism. Looks like Rae is slowly being rehabilitated.

Ali

PS Thanks Procat for fixing the quote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123