Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sandra Parker

Default Which one is the truth?

Charles Chilvers, born Dickleburgh, father Thomas Chilvers, mother Sarah, married 12th October 1784 at Dickleburgh, Norfolk.
    2 online records with the same reference source but variation in name of mother, Browne/Brown, but most importantly different date of Baptism.

BaptismDate 03 Mar 1789

Charles
    FatherForename Thomas
    MotherForename Sarah
    FatherSurname CHILVERS
    MotherSurname BROWNE
    Batch Number: 7222213 Sheet: 58 Source Call No.: 0820499 Type: Film

the other one has:

CHARLES CHILVERS
    Christening:
    03 NOV 1789
    Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England

Father: THOMAS CHILVERS
    Mother: SARAH BROWN
    Batch No 7222213
    Sheet: 58 Source Call No.: 0820499

So when was Charles christened? (Wouldn't mind finding out when he was born either!) I would appreciate any ideas.
    Sandra

sueannbowen

Ah - those entries need to be treated with caution. they have not been extracted from actual parish registers but both have been submitted by a member of the LDS church. So, you would need to find an original source of information to find out when he was baptised. Cannot rely on that information at all really, just treat it as a possible.

Sue

sueannbowen

Hi Sandra
    I have had a quick look at The Norfolk Transcription Archive but it doesn't seem that they have any records for Dickleburgh and Freereg came up blank too. You could ask Geoffers as he has lots of transcriptions for Norfolk - perhaps one of the Mods could move this thread to Norfolk in case anyone can help from there.

Hope I am not treating granny to suck eggs!!!!

S
    Last edited by Geoffers; 27-11-2009 at 1:12 PM. Reason: removal of direct link to site with adverts

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sandra,
    Regardless of what Sue says , FreeREG has the baptism date as 3 Mar 1789, mother's surname Browne. No date of birth noted in the PR (otherwise it would be should in the details on FreeREG).
    Pam

sueannbowen

Oh dear another slap! Sorry Sandra my search of freereg didn't give me anything.

Sandra Parker

Thanks.
    The first ref came from Free Reg, although there are 2 entries, the details are the same - one File Number 1110, the other File Number 1125.

The second ref came from the LDS site also has 2 entries, one gives date as
    03 NOV 1789 Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England, (the one I found before)
    and the other gives
    03 MAR 1789 Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England

so 4 entries on 2 sites and 3 agree with 3rd March 1789.

Am I taking a quantum leap of faith if I accept 3rd March 1789 as being the correct date?
    Sandra
    Last edited by Sandra Parker; 27-11-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo

Hi Sandra,
    Obviously it's far better if you can look at the PRs yourself, but if it's only one entry and you don't have a local LDS FHC for ease of access to the record, then I think I would be saying 3 March, but adding a note to my records as to the source and that 'the record has not been confirmed by me'.

And to Sue - don't worry. I've often searched for things that people say exist and I can't find the blooming things however hard I've looked.
    Pam

Sandra Parker

Thanks Pam, will do that.
    Sandra

Nicolina

Given the 8 month gap, it is possible that there were 2 baptisms for two Charles'. Have you considered looking for a death record for Charles between the two baptism dates?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    Given the 8 month gap, it is possible that there were 2 baptisms for two Charles'. Have you considered looking for a death record for Charles between the two baptism dates?
    Problem with that theory Nicolina is that there is no second baptism in November in Dickleburgh listed in FreeREG.
    Dickleburgh burials for that period are also on FreeREG, and there's none for a Charles, though later there are two other children of Thomas and Sarah who died while still infants.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast