Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A fountain of knowledge

I put a request for information on the Sydenham Town forum. There is a reply from the Sydenham historian. He suggests two names in Kirkdale: William Edwin Usher and John Albert Straker. He has posted a photo of Usher's shop.

Penelopepitstop

Thanks very much Chris, I will go and take a look!

Chris26

Hi there,

Jabez Earwaker was my Great Great Grandfather and I am sure he was a boot maker and live around sydenham, so I am thinking this must be the same Jabez Earwaker. Any information about him living in this area and him being a bootmaker would be greatly apprechiated. Many Thanks

A fountain of knowledge

Chris: Jabez Earwaker is at 134 Sydenham Road in the 1898 and 1902 Sydenham directories. 134 is on the south side, just west of the corner with Knighton Park Road which is at No 136. The Town Museum & Gallery forum on the Sydenham Town website has a thread on Sydenham Road, and this area is covered about 1/3 down, where there are some postcards in which 134 might just be barely visible. Look for talk about All Saints Hall. Sadly, there is also an aerial view of this area that shows the Knighton Park Road corner flattened. HEALTH WARNING: as with several threads on that forum, this is an enormous one with many megabytes of large images.

Maybe if you ask there, the Sydenham local historian will have a picture of Earwaker's shop and/or more information.

Penny: If you can put the photo of your uncle's shop in the thread I started on that forum, someone there may recognise it. (I think only the big players there can post images directly, and you'll have to put it on a photo album somewhere provide a link.) PM me if you're having difficulty doing that.

Chris26

Thanks for the info Chris, much apprechiated. I'll have a look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12