What prompted my frustration yesterday, was being 'hung up' on the marriage certificate as well as having not really taken the time to review my notes. Having now taken that time a much clearer picture of Michael has appeared.

Notwithsranding the inconsistencies of the marriage certificate, I believe this is the right Michael Hayes [my Great-Great-Grandfather]

Death Certificate on hand.
Died March 29, 1910 - 77 Midland, Brent Terrace, Cricklewood. Age 55. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver. Informant - William Hayes [eldest son] in attendance at time of death. Residence of William was 101 Ivy Road, Cricklewood.

Census Records all reviewed in detail.
1901 - 24 Gratton Terrace, Hendon - with wife Alma E and 7 children at home - Railway Engine Driver. Enumerator had changed the name of one child from Richard [1891] to Michael
1891 - 34 Midland Terrace, Hendon - with wife Alma E and 6 children at home
- Railway Engine Driver. Enumorator listed his name as Richard.
1881 - 50 Austin Road, Battersea, with wife Alma E and 3 children at home - Labourer in Iron Works.
1871 - [No #] Austin Road, Battersea - with parents James and Catharine along with 5 siblings
1861 - 47 Cobourg Row, St. John the Evangelist, Westminster - with parents and 2 siblings.

Marriage Certificate on hand
Michael, son of James to Alma Elizabeth Shores daughter of Thomas. After Banns they were married on December 25, 1872. They were stated as of Full Age [?] The stated addresses for both parties was incorrect. The witnesses were George and Mary Jane Larkin, neighbours of the Shores. The certicate was completed by the Curate of the church, R.S.Hassard.

Birth Certificate to be obtained - on order
FreeBMD lists him Jul q 1855

Michael and Alma had a total of 10 children - all of who survirved infancy. 7 were sons and 3 were daughters. The 2 eldest were daughters Mary [1974] and Jane - baptised Sarah Jane - July 26, 1876 [my Great-Grandmother]. Neither daughter was at the residence above in 1891 census.

Sarah Jane married my Great-Grandfather on February 28. 1898 and their daughter [my Grandmother] was born April 11, 1898.

Should the birth certificate of Michael bear out that the Catharine mentioned in the 1871 census is Catharine Ann Dowden, then this is most interesting as the Dowden and the Hayes families were neighbours on Cobourg Row, St John the Evangeslist, Westminister.

Now to review the information for Alma Elizabeth after a 'beer break'.

Hope the above is interesting to forum members and if there is anything I've missed out on, please respond.

Cheers
Colin