Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drives

Hall/Swan

Default Drives

Made a mess of CD drive when installing broadband modem and used the same drive as CD drive, (forgot CDdrive was F!) so can no longer use CD's. How can I get a CD drive? I can call it Drive G, just need to install a drive for CD's.

Have screen shot here;

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...um.php?u=31927 which should explain the mess.

Thanks.

A fountain of knowledge

You don't say which version of Windows you have, but on XP, maybe others, I think you can fix it with diskmgmt.msc started from the Run box. Hopefully, in the lower scrolling window you'll get both drives in separate boxes, right click on the one you want to reassign and select Change drive Letter and Paths..., then Change. (Caveat emptor -- I don't want to risk screwing up my system by trying it!)

esdel

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    Made a mess of CD drive when installing broadband modem and used the same drive as CD drive, (forgot CDdrive was F!) so can no longer use CD's. How can I get a CD drive? I can call it Drive G, just need to install a drive for CD's.

Have screen shot here;

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...um.php?u=31927 which should explain the mess.

Thanks.
    Perhaps your system is not "messed up" at all!

The letters A,B,C,D,E are mere names
    These names are only used by your PC to keep track of what it sent where

C is by default the "main" drive - and it is best to keep it that way.
    Everything your computer does is told WHICH drive to use, to access and store stuff in, and there is an option for you to change this.
    So the drive with the slot into which you put compact disks can be any name you like as long as you TELL the program (MSMediaplayer, itunes etc) to use that name

When you "installed the broadband modem" did you take the option offered you to "OVERWRITE what is on the drive already"? In that case, though unlikely, your problem is that some of the data on that drive has been destroyed - a completely different problem to that of its name.

If your concern is CD Drive, insert a cd and tell your MSMedia player or itunes etc to play each drive in turn until you hear the music. (There is also an "autoplay" option that plays anything you put in that slot)
    I hope some of this helps
    esdel

From the way I am reading your screen shot, E is your DVD drive, there isn't a CD drive showing. Have you a DVD and a CD drive? If not then E is the drive which will play your CD's.

A DVD drive will play CDs, but a CD drive will not play DVD's.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    From the way I am reading your screen shot, E is your DVD drive, there isn't a CD drive showing. Have you a DVD and a CD drive? If not then E is the drive which will play your CD's.

A DVD drive will play CDs, but a CD drive will not play DVD's.
    The CD drive was F, which is now the modem. the CD's were told to use F drive! CD's will not and never have opened using DVD Drive as it was told to use Drive F.

You can see if on screen shot; Quote "CD Drive (F) Vodafone Modem"

If I put a CD in it is unrecognized and the computer just ejects it, then tells me to insert CD, which I do, only to get it ejected again.

Sorry, am on Vista.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by esdel View Post
    Perhaps your system is not "messed up" at all!

The letters A,B,C,D,E are mere names
    These names are only used by your PC to keep track of what it sent where

C is by default the "main" drive - and it is best to keep it that way.
    Everything your computer does is told WHICH drive to use, to access and store stuff in, and there is an option for you to change this.
    So the drive with the slot into which you put compact disks can be any name you like as long as you TELL the program (MSMediaplayer, itunes etc) to use that name

When you "installed the broadband modem" did you take the option offered you to "OVERWRITE what is on the drive already"? In that case, though unlikely, your problem is that some of the data on that drive has been destroyed - a completely different problem to that of its name.

If your concern is CD Drive, insert a cd and tell your MSMedia player or itunes etc to play each drive in turn until you hear the music. (There is also an "autoplay" option that plays anything you put in that slot)
    I hope some of this helps
    esdel
    Have tried everything I can think of, incl "autoplay" but it seems it must be looking for Drive F which is now the modem, the DVD drive won't even look at it, nor will Explorer..

I can change the Modem to H drive or whatever through Disc Management but will that free up Drive F for the CD drive?

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Doran View Post
    You don't say which version of Windows you have, but on XP, maybe others, I think you can fix it with diskmgmt.msc started from the Run box. Hopefully, in the lower scrolling window you'll get both drives in separate boxes, right click on the one you want to reassign and select Change drive Letter and Paths..., then Change. (Caveat emptor -- I don't want to risk screwing up my system by trying it!)
    Yes I know how to get there, the boxes are there, but if I assign Drive H for the modem instead will F drive still be there?

If so, will it then just play CD's or do I need to do anything else?

Am using Vista.

Hall/Swan

Change picture to show my CD Drive; https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...hp?albumid=146 that shows it as the modem.

Right click on 'my computer'
    Select 'Manage'
    Select 'Disc management' under 'storage' (might need to click on '+' next to 'storage' to display list
    This will bring you up a list of all drives
    In the lower right hand box, which gives disks by number find you CD drive that you have 'lost'
    right click on the one shown as modem and select 'change drive letter'
    Move your modem (how does a modem get a drive letter asscoiated anyway?! - now I've looked at the screenshot, I've realised it is a dongle which acts like a pendrive and installs software!) to a spare letter (H) and move the CD back to where it was.
    Drives don't get lost - they simply loose drive letter allocation.

Hall/Swan

Allocated it to drive H but it's just arose by any other name! There was no DriveF showing at that stage. https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...&pictureid=516

I then had to change it back to F because it wouldn't give me internet access as H, luckily it sorted itself! There must be other files pointed a F that didn't change.

Might just give up!

Thanks anyway, but reckon it's too complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast