Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Default Psychic genealogy

For several years now I have been searching for William H Pipe, the brother of my GG Grandfather. I had his birth and baptism in Loddon, Norfolk in 1813, but then he vanishes.
    I regularly revisit the appropriate records, but he has never shown up.

Then a few days ago I thought that I would search everything again – marriages, burials, apprenticeship records, wills, military records, etc etc. I spent the best part of 24 hours looking for this one fellow.

Once again, no luck - You know the feeling.

I was just about to give up - again - and went to turn off the laptop and an email arrived. Better look at it, I thought, even if it is 2 am. It was from someone I had never heard of in Florida who had obtained my address from another contact.

The question was “did I know anything about a William H Pipe b 1813”, with lots of details fitting in with the correct family line.

How did she know that I was looking for a William virtually at that moment. Maybe she was Psychic, I thought.

It transpired that her William was the same William who was the subject of my research. Somehow he had sneaked out of the country without apparent trace. This William was the GG Grandfather of the sender of the email (making us 4th cousins).

I would never have found this – I wonder sometimes if these long lost ancestors conspire against us, but at a critical moment let slip the vital piece of information. But then we will never know – until the time that we too are ‘long lost ancestors’. Then we can play our tricks!

The ‘downside’ is that I now have an army of additions to make to that previously 'dead' branch of the tree. But that’s the price of luck.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

gasser

Great news.......I'm so pleased for you.

One day I might have a "tap on the shoulder" from some of my elusive ancestors pointing me in the right direction .............. ah well.......I live in hope!

Good luck!

pipsqueak

That's exciting though! As I always say, the information is out there - if only we knew where...

Marie C..

Amazing isn't it how these things happen! Is it just "happenstance"? or something beyond our ken.
    It seems sometimes they want to be found.
    Similar sorts of things have happened to me ... and to others.
    Anyway that is wonderful for you! Another mystery solved.
    Marie

v.wells

Oh Michael - that is wonderful for you I wish my rellies would reach down and touch me! Your rellies spirit world must have decided to "shell out" at 2 am - great fate!

spison

Terrific news Michael,

That paper trail is there - if only you can find its beginning!

Jane

MythicalMarian

I am firmly of the belief, Michael, that my lot have just ached to be found. They come out of the woodwork in droves for me - truly they do. Unless, of course, their surname is Harding...ggrrrrhhhhhh Now if I could find a medium who could bully our Marian into playing the game, I'd be very grateful indeed.

But I am thrilled for you with your new discovery. He'll be grinning at you from the other side right now.

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    That paper trail is there - if only you can find its beginning!
    I would settle for its end .... What the hell - I would settle for grabbing a bit in the middle in the hope that I could follow it both ways

PS bet you couldn't get to sleep after that email Michael.

LittleMissP

I'm sure my grandmother would have said, well hard work pays off in the end

I'm envious!

Paula

Jade26

[QUOTE=michaelpipe;346616] .......I wonder sometimes if these long lost ancestors conspire against us, but at a critical moment let slip the vital piece of information. But then we will never know – until the time that we too are ‘long lost ancestors’. Then we can play our tricks!..... QUOTE]

I spent ten years searching for my great grandfather James Isaac Brooks, "the man who never was". He was married in South Australia and only his father's name (Abraham Brooks) was recorded on his marriage certificate.

James was supposedly born c 1862 at Wallaroo in South Australia and died prior to 1898. Despite extensive searches of BMDs in all states I could find no record of his birth or death. At the time there were two men in South Australia by the name of Abraham Brooks, one married to a Bridget Quain and the other to a Susannah Baker. Both of these men had large families, but neither of them had a son registered by the name of James Isaac.

Abraham and Bridget moved around a lot and had one son who was born at Wallaroo, Abraham and Susannah also moved around a lot and came to Victoria at the same time as James and my great grandmother living at various times in the same localities as each other.

In the end with nothing concrete to tie James in with either family I decided to give up. I can remember sitting down at the computer and saying out loud, "OK James you win. You obviously don't want to be found, so it's up to you now, just let me know when you do want to be found."

Ten minutes later I had cold shivers running up and down my spine as I sat reading an email from my daughter-in-law- "I've found your James Isaac Brooks, he died in Western Australia in 1896 and was the son of Abraham Brooks and Bridget Quain".

Trish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast