dianenbabe

Default Can anyone understand this

Does anyone no what this is all about, Ysabel de Saint-Malo. Name and device. Per bend purpure and sable, a sun argent, a base Or.
    The submitter requested a name authentic for 15th C France. The name Ysabel is fine for this place and time; it appears twice in Aryanhwy merch Catmael, "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438" ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html. While we have been unable to find a 15th C example of Saint-Malo, we did find a mention of a 16th or early 17th C form of this spelling. L'économie politique patronale, Traicté de l'oeconomie politique : dédié en 1615 au Roy et à la Reyne mère du Roy, Antoyne de Montchrétien ; [ éd. ] par Th. Funck-Brentano lists a Jacques Cartier de Saint-Malo in 1534. Given this information, we believe that this is a reasonable late 15th C French name.

esdel

Others more skilled will confirm this is a name (before surnames were much more than the town people came from) and the description of the heraldic arms of this person (Purple something et sable something silver on a gold background)

JAP1

dianenbabe,

If you Google for "Ysabel de Saint-Malo" (and I strongly suggest that you do so) you will find that it is something to do with a group which calls itself "The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc".

It clearly has nothing at all to do with Genealogy.

JAP

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    If you Google for "Ysabel de Saint-Malo" (and I strongly suggest that you do so)
    I did (for the hell of it) and got
    ech.eastkingdom.org/xLoI/2006-04/2006-04-XLoI-East.html

47 Ysabel de Saint-Malo (F) -

with a sketch of an interpretation of "Per bend purpure and sable, a sun argent, a base Or."

MarkJ

The SCA appear to be a group of "Middle Ages" re-enactment types. All these "Heraldic" devices are simply part of their re-creation of the times.

As JAP says, I see no connection with genealogy.

Mark

JAP1

Default Wikipedia

If anyone is actually interested in the Society for Creative Anachronism founded 1966 (each to his/her own!), there's a lengthy Wikipedia article at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism

JAP

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I decided to move this thread to general family history queries, because it doesn't fit the Brickwall board.
    ChristineR

dianenbabe

Default reply on understanding a site

I came across this by Googling history of The Roy surname in France. That came up and of coarse Roy and St Malo was in there but with all the French words I had no Idea what it was about. Thanks for the help. I can disregard it all together.