AnnR

Default How frustrating!

Having invested my £7 for a marriage certificate in an effort to establish for sure if the bride was the person I am researching, I eagerly opened the post this morning to find.....no father's name or profession entered for either bride or groom and the only detail in age for either of them is full. I know the father's name could be blank if they are illegitimate, but I know the groom wasn't and if the bride is who I think she is, then she isn't illegitimate either.

Not really expecting anyone to solve this for me, just wanted to share my frustraion with someone.

pipsqueak

That must be very frustrating! I wonder why that information wasn't there. Perhaps it was the wrong one after all.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

That sounds as useful as one I saw on A*'s London marriages.
    In the spaces for fathers' names and occupations was writ large across both columns for both fathers ' 'Dead'.

It might be worth contacting the local registrar's office and asking if they could check to see if their copy is also blank.
    Pam

AnnR

Thanks for the sympathy Pipsqueak and Pam.

Pam, I may try your suggestion. I hadn't realised that they might differ, but of course they might. I'll see if they take pity on me, although their website says
    If the entry is traced, the information can only be supplied in the form of a certificate for which a fee is charged
    so I may end up paying another £7 and still not get any useful information!

Oh well, the joys of genealogy!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy Pipsqueak and Pam.

Pam, I may try your suggestion. I hadn't realised that they might differ, but of course they might. I'll see if they take pity on me, although their website says
    If the entry is traced, the information can only be supplied in the form of a certificate for which a fee is charged
    so I may end up paying another £7 and still not get any useful information!

Oh well, the joys of genealogy!
    Yes, but you're not asking them to trace an entry, you're asking them to confirm information is correct. Because the way I understand it, if you've got a photocopy of the certificate the GRO have (i.e. someone at the GRO has not hand-written the certificate sent to you), then if information is missing from the GRO copy it's the fault of the local office in supplying wrong information to the GRO.
    Alternatively, did they get married in a Cof E church? And in that case, is there anyone on the forum who is likely to go to the local Record Office/Archives who could double-check the entry for you? Would the Record Office themselves check for you? Or if the Society of Genealogists have the records I should be able to do a look-up for you on the 28th.
    Pam

AnnR

What a kind offer. I did think of the church register as an alternative but the Cornwall OPC site has only transcibed up to 1837 and there isn't an OPC yet for this particular parish.

The marriage took place at St Mary Magdalene, Launceston on 12 March 1840 between James Endean and Jane Cudlipp. If anyone does have access I would be extremely grateful for any information included in the register in relation to the parents of the bride and groom, but particularly the bride. Alternatively I will try your other suggestions.

Thanks again

Sorry Ann, no good with the SoG.
    In trying to find Cornwall Record Office (it's in Truro in case you're wondering), I've found that Launceston library hold PR fiche so I wonder if they might be the best place to try. They conveniently have an email addy. launceston dot library at cornwall dot gov dot dot uk
    Pam

AnnR

Thanks for the offer anyway. I will try Launceston library.

Ann