sueannbowen

Default Calling Handwriting Experts

Hello All

Have been missing for a few weeks but am back (wot's that about bad pennies??) thank goodness.

Can anyone shed some light on this census enumerator's handwriting?

RG10 piece 1312 folio 138 page 17. The people I am interested in are at the bottom of that page. Can anyone tell me what it says in Thomas Groom's occupation. What does it say in the same column for his wife Ann and finally, can anyone cast light on Ann Harding's birthplace? I would love it to be Winterbourne Stoke Wiltshire but might be pushing my luck.

Thanks for your help in advance, and I am very glad to be back.

S

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,
    For Thomas '(Supt?) Surveyor under the (blank space) of the Inland and I think that his occupation is continued in Ann's occupation space which says "Revenues Somerset House".
    Without the lines continuing none of it makes sense.
    And as for Ann Harding's birthplace get ready to

Winterbourne Stoke, Wilts it is. (FMP copy by the way is much clearer than A*'s.)
    Pam

busyglen

I agree Pam,

I looked at the transcription on Genealogist (as well as the original piece) and they have Surveyor for Thomas, and continuing in Ann's occupation Revenue Somerset (Hounslow) which I think is House.

And yes, Ann's Harding's birthplace is what you wished for. Yippee

Addendum:

I've had a closer look and what it actually says on the original is:

Supt. Surveyor under the (blank) of the Inland (Thomas' line)
    "Revenue Somerset House" (Ann's line)

Glenys

Thomasin

Thomas is a Supd (Superannuated) under the (space) of the Inland "Revenue Somerset House" - and this rather long entry extends on to the line belonging to his wife. Yes, Winterbourne Stoke is right!

Thomasin (welcome back)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    Thomas is a Supd (Superannuated) under the (space) of the Inland "Revenue Somerset House" - and this rather long entry extends on to the line belonging to his wife. Yes, Winterbourne Stoke is right!

Thomasin (welcome back)
    Thank Thomasin.
    I had a feeling that 'Superintendent' wasn't right but couldn't think of an alternative.
    Pam

v.wells

Thomas D. Groom 57 Pub. Surveyor of the Inland Revenue Survey House, Surrey, Kennington
    Ann Groom 54 Hants, Hilton
    Ann Harding married 37 general domestic servant and looks like Mts? LandonbourneInke?

The first letters are not the same as the others on the page and the enumerater has put the counties first, then the towns. It is hard to read even enlarged.
    Hope someone has better eyes than me!

And other eyes are obviously better than mine - great job!
    Last edited by v.wells; 15-11-2009 at 7:09 PM. Reason: Added last line

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I had a feeling that 'Superintendent' wasn't right but couldn't think of an alternative.
    I confess, I copied 'Superannuated' from the entry above because it was obviously on the same lines - and then I omitted the word Surveyor.

Thomasin

sueannbowen

Yay!!

thank you thank you thank you! I am sure that is my Ann Harding nee Light.

She seems to have married a Charles Harding in 1865 in Wilton Wiltshire (MC on the way) and a likely contender is working at Wilton House, The Park Wilton, a grand pile, in 1861. By 1871 as you say she is working for Mr & Mrs Groom and by 1881 is living with her nephew. Now to find out whether Charles died or they went their separate ways.

I love a bit of intrigue and the old ag labs don't offer much of that!

Thanks again my dears.

BTW Jonathan Livingston found the gales a bit much last night but is OK thank goodness.

Reputation beyond repute

If you have uncovered ancestors in the Revenue, new research paths may open up although in this case your man may be too early for the surviving records. However it will do no harm to read the research guide in particular section 5.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If you have uncovered ancestors in the Revenue, new research paths may open up although in this case your man may be too early for the surviving records. However it will do no harm to read the research guide in particular section 5.
    Thanks Peter - I would not have even thought of that.

Sue