ShirleySS

Default GIBBINS on the DORA

Hi, I am looking for any information on the GIBBINS family from Northampton who worked the Grand Union Canal around 1890 to 1930. I have a William GIBBINS born 1882. He married Elizabeth DANIELS born in 1882 in Oldbury. Where did Elizabeths family come from? On the 1891 Census she lived with her mother Mary J Daniels born in 1867 in Middlesex.
    Many thanks for looking

ShirleySS

Additionally, on the 1891 census Elizabeth had a sister called Alice who was born in Daventry in 1889.

Jan1954

Hello Shirley,

Do you have the birth certificate for Elizabeth? That should name her father (plus her mother's maiden name) and therefore make it easier to track them back in the censuses. Also, do you have William's birth certificate?

A starting point, if you do not already have it, would be the marriage certificate for Elizabeth and William.

September quarter 1908
    Volume 3b
    Page 115
    Elizabeth DANIELS and William GIBBINS are on the same page.

ShirleySS

Thanks, no certs yet. Just census looking. Mary J Daniels must only have been about 15 when Elizabeth was born. But on the 1891 census she is listed as married but lodging with an older couple. No husband is listed
    Shirley

Jan1954

Aha! Certificates are an absolute MUST!

Census records can really only be used as a guide as to where/when people were born - as well as marital status (our lovely ancestors fibbed a lot....).

Start with the marriage certificate to which I referred above. It can be ordered from the GRO and should provide the ages of the happy couple as well as details of their respective fathers.

Good luck!