Thread: Mundy mystery

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Mundy mystery

Could someone with access to Anc* give me an opinion on this:

London Marriages & Banns, St Botolph Bishopsgate 1802
    entry 1395 Hugh Mundy m Jane York 29 Aug

on the following page
    entry 1406 Hugh Mundy m Jane Ayres 13 Sep
    The signature of Hugh Mundy is almost identical on both, as is the signature of one of the witnesses - also Hugh Mundy.

Unfortunately I can't find any baptisms so I dont know if there were two Hughs, or if it was father & son marrying within three weeks, or even if Jane York died and Hugh remarried very hastily!

Thomasin

They are both said to be bachelors - perhaps cousins. One of them has a more curly 'H' and 'd', and they do seem to have been witnesses for each other. Intriguing! I'll be interested to see what other people think.

Thomasin

Very quick off the mark.

I've had a look at the images. What seems strange to me is that the signature of the groom in each case is the same and that of the witness is the same. I'd expect them to be witness to each other. The H's & the M's are different in both signatures.

Have you looked on any Censuses after the marriages to see if the two couples appear?

Regards,

maggie

P.S. Just realised that the date of the marriage is quite sometime before the first Census - so not a good suggestion of mine.
    Last edited by margarita; 15-11-2009 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Mutley

The witness signature seems to be the same in both case. The 'H' not having a bottom loop. The Grooms signatures have the same 'H' but a different 'd'. None have a loop on the 'y', you would think one of them would.

The same curate married them so you would think he would have known.

I'll take a look in the census, they may only be in their 60s. Shame there is not a father or occupation mentioned.

Knowledgeable and helpful

HO107, Piece 716, Book: 11, ; Enumeration District: 10, Folio: 9, Page: 9, Line: 4 ( record held by TNA)
    St Mary Whitechapel - Back Church Lane

Hugh Mundy - Builder age 60 (transcribed as 40 by our ancestral friends)
    Jane - 60
    Thomas 20 ind.
    Honor 15
    Hugh 5
    Thomas 1
    John 1

I believe Thomas and Honor were two of Hugh & Jane's children and the others were grandchildren. We have several baptism and marriage records for their children but no father's signatures on any of them. The address at Back Church Lane was still occupied by Mundy's in later censuses, and there is an interesting court case about a man trying to steal a pig from Hugh in 1822!

I think there must be a connection with the Mundy family of Barking, see this thread:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=51581

Also There is a baptism (IGI) for Jane Ayres at St Botolph Bishopsgate
    18 Apr 1779 d/o John & Elizabeth, but the only Jane York I can find is in a different district.
    Looks like another impenetrable brick wall

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    HO107, Piece 716, Book: 11, ; Enumeration District: 10, Folio: 9, Page: 9, Line: 4 ( record held by TNA)
    St Mary Whitechapel - Back Church Lane
    Thank you lesleys, not as a recipient of the information but from a moderator for quoting the information correctly.
    You have made my day

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Thank you lesleys, not as a recipient of the information but from a moderator for quoting the information correctly.
    You have made my day
    Just a thought - could we have lesleys's quote as a 'sticky' somewhere so that 'bears of very little brain' like me could refer to it when posting?

Regards,

maggie