Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battered wife

pipsqueak

Default Battered wife

I have unearthed the beginnings of a divorce record from TNA today - they only gave me ten of forty pages and because it's Friday I can't get my hands on the rest until Monday. Anyway the good news is that I have seen enough to know that I have the right man.

As yet I don't have many details, but apparently, GEORGE ESCOTT wants a divorce from his wife MARY JANE ESCOTT on the grounds of adultery, and names CHARLES BUCKHURST as co-respondent. Charles Buckhurst and Mary Jane both deny any wrongdoing and say that no adultery took place. However, Mary Jane goes on to tell how she was beaten by her husband "and forced my head between his knees an attempted to thrust out my eyes"!! This man was a farrier and doubtless very strong.

The divorce appears to have occurred in about 1885. Is there any chance that there might have been a newspaper item about the divorce - if so where? Secondly where might I look to find out if George was ever arrested for violence? I expect wife-beating was ignored since a wife was a man's property, but what if it involved someone else? He went on to marry (or at least have a relationship with) and have a child with my great-grand-aunt (too big a title for someone who died young) so I have a vested interest in this.

Edited to add that all this took place in the Caledonian Road area of Islington - around Arthur Mews.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak View Post
    Is there any chance that there might have been a newspaper item about the divorce - if so where?
    The Islington Gazette was around back then and I would have thought that any report would have been in that. A copy is held by the British Library Newspapers. Perhaps try contacting them: customer-services AT bl DOT uk

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    The Islington Gazette was around back then and I would have thought that any report would have been in that. A copy is held by the British Library Newspapers.
    Sorry, but you'll be much better off contacting Islington Local History Library. The BL charge a minimum of £48.90 for any newspaper search (with a result or not), while the local history library might do it for free, or at worst at a modest cost.

Also try searching the Times Digital Archive (online), if you haven't already?

Kerrywood

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The BL charge a minimum of £48.90 for any newspaper search (with a result or not)
    Blimey! That is outrageous! As well as something that I did not realise - thanks Kerrywood.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper , Sunday, December 13, 1885; Issue 2247

"DAMAGES IN A DIVORCE SUIT -- In the Divorce division, on Friday, the case of "Escott v. Escott and Buckhurst" was heard. This was the petition of George Escott, a farrier, for a divorce by reason of the adultery of his wife with Charles Buckhurst, a licensed victualler, against whom damages were claimed. There were counter allegations against the petitioner, but the principal issue raised for the defence was that of cruelty. The marriage took place in 1871, and there were three children born. In Aug., 1884, a sister of Mrs. Escott's, who lived at Wood-green, was taken ill, and the respondent, then residing at Islington, visited her. In the course of these visits she was often in the society of the co-respondent, a licensed victualler, of St. Paul's-road, Maiden-lane, and used to drive out with him in a pony trap. The petitioner went to a house near the co-respondent's, and found him with his wife. A scene ensued, and he told her that she ought to be ashamed of herself. The following day she summoned him at the Clerkenwell police-court for assault. For the defence, Mrs. Jane Escott, the respondent (who did not deny the adultery) detailed a number of acts of cruelty she alleged against her husband. In the result the jury found for the petitioner, and assessed the damages at 100l. A decree nisi, with costs, was granted."

Kerrywood

pipsqueak

Ooh thank you! That's enormously helpful! Where did you find the Lloyd's weekly newspaper?

The plot thickens...

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak View Post
    Where did you find the Lloyd's weekly newspaper?
    Within the 19th Century British Library Newspaper Collection, as digitised by Gale and available here through membership of my county library.

This and other Gale collections can be accessed at many public libraries in the UK -- maybe in your neck of the woods too?

Kerrywood

pipsqueak

Not over in the US, no. I once asked my local library if they subscribed to the Chicago newspaper collection but they said it was too expensive! Thank you for looking for me - I had no idea there was such a collection.

If you can't get free access through a public library, you could take a look at British Newspapers 1800-1900 (a paysite at ... newspapers.bl.uk/blcs). There are options for 24-hour or 7-day membership.

Kerrywood

pipsqueak

Thanks! I have another question. In the newspaper article it states that there were three children. Would only living legitimate children be counted at that time?

On the 1871 census when George and (Mary) Jane were newly married, a daughter, Jane, aged two is named. No Jane Escott can be found born in 1869 in Islington, but there is a Jane Hardwick (Mrs Escott's maiden name). So for the moment I am going to suppose that Jane the child is the illigitimate daughter of (Mary) Jane, with or without George.

On the 1881 census, rather than being aged 12 as you might expect, Jane is ten. This could either be a second Jane (but I can't find a death for the first) or it could be the same Jane with her age "Legitimised". I cannot find a birth registration for a Jane Escott in 1871 so I'm inclined to think it's the same child.

There are then four more children, of which I can find registrations for three and a Baptism only, for one:
    Jessie Sarah A Escott, 1873 (Registered Islington, Jun Qtr)
    Emma Alice Escott, 1874 (Registered Islington, Jun Qtr)
    Julia Jane Escott, Baptised 1874 (28 June; no birth registration found)
    George William Escott, 1879 (Registered Islington, Sept Qtr)

So now we have illegitimate Jane, then Jessie and Emma, then the elusive Julia and finally George. I think the ones in bold are the three mentioned in the divorce.

I cannot find any record of Julia's existence other than the baptismal record. (I should add here that my A** membership has expired and for now I can't go back and check the document to make sure the transcription is correct.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast