greann

Default David Gerard Thompson

Thats right................... I'm still looking for information on David Gerard Thompson
    I have been told that he was a "Sparks operator" and was in India at some point and came down with Malaria(not sure how to spell that)Apparently the ship left him there in hospital. Not sure what ship, but why would he be in India if not in the Navy.
    Anyone have any insight for me.
    Ann

Geoffers

Any idea when?

If he was navy, the question then is Royal or Merchant? Do you have any information to identify which? Is there a marriage certificate for him with an occupation, or a child's birth certificate? Did he leave a will? Is he listed in overseas or marine deaths?

greann

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Any idea when?

If he was navy, the question then is Royal or Merchant? Do you have any information to identify which? Is there a marriage certificate for him with an occupation, or a child's birth certificate? Did he leave a will? Is he listed in overseas or marine deaths?
    Hi Geoffers,
    All we have is hearsay........... but it may have been Merchant. Apparently he jumped ship in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Which I think is true as I can't find him coming to Canada on any of the passenger ships. We were also told that he was sent away to a boarding school, but we think it may have been a millitary college.
    He was a sparks operator and here in Canada his occupation was radio manufacturer. When he was ill (and at the time of his death) he was in a veterans hospital in Toronto.
    We believe he came to Canada between 1919 and 1922. Therefore he would have been 17-20 years old.
    Ann

Mutley

Before anyone looks for information read the previous threads by greann.

They may help.

greann

Hi Mutley,
    People graciously helped me to tie the family together. (1911 census) in those threads However, the birthdate of David Gerard Thompson is incorrect. He should have been 9 years old and not 4
    Ann

Mutley

By linking the threads together Ann,
    it saves people searching and finding the same information for you again.

Good Luck

greann

Thank you sooooooo much
    Ann

Geoffers

If he was Merchant Navy - have a read of the research guides on TNA's web-site - in particular Merchant Seamen, Sea Service Records 1913-1972

In early years I have a vague recollection that radio operators were not employees of the shipping company, but rather employed by Marconi. I'm not sure of the dates here and by the time your chap was at sea, things may have changed. Someone with better knowledge of the subject will hopefully post something which is more accurate.

I think you need to start with something definite and perhaps look at the marine deaths index which can be found on many pay-per-view sites.